Does 320 actually mean anything?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Juneboy

Does 320 actually mean anything?

Post by Juneboy »

Assuming a child gets 320 and above with a "G" status will any school really offer a place? Or is there an unofficial pass mark of 350? Would children scoring in the 320s-340s get an offer?

Keen to hear about Out of county children who scored lower (320-340) and got a place in the past. As an out of county parent I want to prepare myself for results day just in case.

J
ToadMum

Re: Does 320 actually mean anything?

Post by ToadMum »

Juneboy wrote:Assuming a child gets 320 and above with a "G" status will any school really offer a place? Or is there an unofficial pass mark of 350? Would children scoring in the 320s-340s get an offer?

Keen to hear about Out of county children who scored lower (320-340) and got a place in the past. As an out of county parent I want to prepare myself for results day just in case.

J
You can find the admissions criteria for all Kent state schools here:
https://www.kent.gov.uk/education-and-c ... ria-201819

Admissions must be made according to a school's published admissions criteria. So if it says, for example, that a school admits on 'a pass in the Kent Test, then on distance', there are the criteria that must be applied when ranking applicants.

No 'unwritten rules', that's the prerogative of the independent sector.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

Some schools do it on a basic pass and then geography. Some do it on the highest scores. Even then, there are exceptions such as musical ability and the appeals system. Where we are there is a mix of different rules and possibilities, such that I sometimes think the system is deliberately designed to find a way of admitting anyone whose parents push hard enough and know how to play the game.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Sparklecat wrote:Some schools do it on a basic pass and then geography. Some do it on the highest scores. Even then, there are exceptions such as musical ability and the appeals system. Where we are there is a mix of different rules and possibilities, such that I sometimes think the system is deliberately designed to find a way of admitting anyone whose parents push hard enough and know how to play the game.
Some of that I won't comment on, but with regard to you pointing out that not all schools have exactly the same admissions criteria, I would use that as evidence that checking what the criteria are for the schools in which one is interested is of paramount importance :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Frankie101

Post by Frankie101 »

Is the pass mark 320 this year?
Juneboy

Post by Juneboy »

I may be wrong but it was 320 when my older child passed 3 years ago and I've not known it to be anything else in recent times.
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

The discussion in the Bexley section where they got their Kent results early says it is 320 again.
Frankie101

Post by Frankie101 »

Yes I saw that but op didn't seem too sure. Oh well, I guess we have to wait. :?
gravesendgal

Post by gravesendgal »

320 is the pass mark but also you have to score 106 in each of the papers

So actually you could score 105, and 133 and 133 and still fail...... (although HT appeal will prob get you through)

But yes, don't lose sight of the fact that all 3 components have to be passed and you can't be amazing in one 2 areas and very weak in 1....

In my area (gravesend in case you didn't realise) a pass will generate a school place in either Mayfield or GGS
Frankie101

Post by Frankie101 »

Hi. Is 320 definitely the pass mark this year?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now