Two days to go! TWGSB question......

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
paula555

Two days to go! TWGSB question......

Post by paula555 »

Hi Everyone

Nervously counting down the days to results day!!

I've had a rather wide smile and head nod from our HT while telling me she can't divulge the contents of the KCC letter! :wink:

So although we don't know his score we're confident it's a pass at least. With that in mind, does anyone have any admissions info on TWGSB? I notice on the main thread discussing the score cut-offs that TWGSB is blank and their website says that a pass is required. So can I assume that any boy who gets a pass and doesn't quite achieve a score for a super selective will at the very least go to TWGSB? Has it ever happened that a child passes but doesn't get given a grammar school at all? That probably sounds like a very silly question, but my husband asked me this and I had no idea of how to reply! :? We're out of county (moving to TW in November) so I'm not totally familiar with the system in Kent.

Good luck to everyone for Thursday!!
streathammum

Re: Two days to go! TWGSB question......

Post by streathammum »

You need to check the precise admissions information for each school you're interested in.

Tunbridge Wells GS for Boys gives priority to children who live closest to the school. The cut-off date for address changes seems to be 8 December.

You should check with the school to find out how far their distances have gone in recent years.
mystery

Post by mystery »

You need to read all the stuff on the KCC secondary schools admissions page including the information booklet which is available on pdf on there and make sure you have read TGSWB own admission policy which will tell you which addresses / parishes etc get priority if the school is oversubscribed.

Here is a paragraph I have lifted for you:

Kent County Council will also be able to amend applications
if asked to do so no later than 8 December 2017 with regard
to house moves or changes of schools relating to house
moves provided you have an exchange of contracts or a
signed rental agreement for the new property. It may not be
possible to submit these changes online. Parents should email
kentonlineadmissions@kent.gov.uk with the details of their
required amendment, ensuring that they contact us with the
same email address used for their application.

Yes, it is possible that TWGSB could be oversubscribed with people wanting places and what your address is on 8 December 2017 could affect whether not you are given a place there on 1 March 2018.
paula555

Post by paula555 »

Thanks.... We'll be getting a house within half a mile of the station (as husband works in London) so assume we'll be okay for TWGSB catchment then. :)
mystery

Post by mystery »

I guess so - to double check I would see how the circle you are considering fits with the various clauses in the oversubscription part of their admission policy fro 2018 and ask the school what they think your chances are from that area. Then need to make sure you have the right documentation for the 8th December deadline.

You will get the new handshaking head.
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

TWGSB has a wide catchment area so as long as you are living in TW by the cut off date of 8th December you will get a place. Not everyone who passes gets a place but the people who don't are those who live many miles away, such as other side of Sevenoaks or into deepest darkest Sussex. My son is Y11 and had a boy from Eastbourne in his class to start with.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now