Watford Grammar School for Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Newmum

Watford Grammar School for Girls

Post by Newmum »

Hi, I visited the Open evening at WGSG yesterday. The school is under an acting headmistress and it will take one whole academic year for a permanent head teacher to take charge. I understand that their food technology department will be closed after this year and for Design technology there is only one teacher. Any parents of existing students can advise on the quality of education and support at school. Thank you.
poppy2000

Re: Watford Grammar School for Girls

Post by poppy2000 »

Hi,
All the parents I know whose DDs are in WGSG really like the school and I must say I have not heard any complaints. But I am sure others (whose DD attends the school) will have better knowledge. There is a thread on WGSG head leaving which you may find helpful.
Just out of curiosity why are they closing the food tech section, is it a subject they won't be teaching any longer?
rosetta

Post by rosetta »

Food tech closing due to government cuts.

I have 2 DDs at WGGS and they would recommend it highly!
K1w1mum

Post by K1w1mum »

I have three daughters at WGGS and would recommend it. The acting head is fabulous and the school is well supported. It's a pity about food tech but it was a decision made so that the staff: student ratios can stay the same.
All schools are making cuts atm, some are more visible than others :(
Hera

Post by Hera »

I was impressed by the acting head teacher's speech. It struck a good balance between academic, empowering women, caring environment and fun. The girls as always were fabulous ambassadors for the school. The only reservation was that in some classes there weren't any staff and in a couple they seemed a bit disengaged, but the overall impression was extremely positive.

With regards to food tech it is a shame. It is a result of funding cuts, however the boys school still teach it and in fact the WGGS food tech teacher went to the boys school so they have no plans to ditch it any time soon. WGGS will teach the theoretical element of food tech in key stage 3. Drama is offered but as an after school option jointly with the boys school. The school does still offer a good range of art and tech subjects at GCSE. There is an options booklet from last year on the website which lists what they offered.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now