Newstead Wood school for Girls appeals

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
harrowboy

Adivice for Newstead Wood school for Girls appeals

Post by harrowboy »

I am asking this help for a my friend of mine who lives in Oppington, less than 2 miles from this school. His DD has scored 218 and he was told that she is 5th on the waiting list for this school which was their first choice. In the meantime, she is offered a place at Priory school which is in Bromley which was ther second choice. She also scored 140 on both VR & NVR while managed only 95 on maths on the Kent exam. Therefore, she wasn't qualified to consider there as she failed to reach their pass marks of 105 on maths.
They have't accepted this school they offered and want to appeal for their first school which is only few min walk.
Could someone please advise how to proceed?
Many thanks
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

Hello Harrowboy
May I suggest that you re-post your query in the Bexley section of this forum as the school in question falls within that LEA? Here in the Kent area (where your friend's daughter missed the maths pass mark by 20 points, not 10) I believe that the deadline for an appeal has now passed. The situation in Bexley may, however, be different.

Do they actually have grounds for an appeal anyway, or are they just hoping for a place off the waiting list? If the latter, I doubt that they need to do anything.

In Kent they would have been well advised to accept the place they were offered. This would NOT have affected their chances of getting a place at their first choice school either off the waiting list or on appeal. It would, however, mean that they were not in danger of having no place anywhere if they didn't get their first choice. I suspect that the situation is similar in Bexley. They should check this ASAP as they have missed the Kent deadline for accepting the place and if the Bexley date has not passed it must be looming.
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

Hello again,
Sorry, I got it wrong in the post above. I've just realised that Newstead Wood is in Bromley LEA not Bexley!! Still, in the absence of a Bromley section, most of the discussion about the school seems to be in the Bexley section.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

I'm afraid Newstead Wood doesn't fall within Bexley LEA (although there are some posts about this school in the Bexley section). It's one of two selective schools in Bromley which doesn't seem to have a section on this forum.

I suggest you contact school.admissions@bromley.gov.uk (0208 3134044) and hopefully they will advise how best to proceed.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Ken99 - crossed posts!
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

To make amends I've checked the appeal procedure on-line for you. The appeal deadline for lodging an appeal to Newstead Wood is TOMORROW. Appeals must be received by then so they would need to courier or hand deliver. My advice, therefore, is to get a move on if they are serious about appealling and have real grounds for doing so. Further info can be found on the LB of Bromley website by following the links through schools etc.
harrowboy

Post by harrowboy »

Thanks for the replies. I have adviced my friend accordingly. He was told by the school that he only needs to advice them that he will be appealing before tomorrow which he did already, and the appeal must me received by the school before 20th of next month.
Tired Mum

Re: Adivice for Newstead Wood school for Girls appeals

Post by Tired Mum »

harrowboy wrote:I am asking this help for a my friend of mine who lives in Oppington, less than 2 miles from this school. His DD has scored 218 and he was told that she is 5th on the waiting list for this school which was their first choice. In the meantime, she is offered a place at Priory school which is in Bromley which was ther second choice. She also scored 140 on both VR & NVR while managed only 95 on maths on the Kent exam. Therefore, she wasn't qualified to consider there as she failed to reach their pass marks of 105 on maths.
They have't accepted this school they offered and want to appeal for their first school which is only few min walk.
Could someone please advise how to proceed?
Many thanks
Hello Harrowboy

Well you and I have something in common. My daughter was in the same situation last year - well almost - she scored 219. But I can tell you that Newstead went down to 218 last year. PM me!
harrowboy

Re: Adivice for Newstead Wood school for Girls appeals

Post by harrowboy »

Tired Mum wrote:
harrowboy wrote: Hello Harrowboy

Well you and I have something in common. My daughter was in the same situation last year - well almost - she scored 219. But I can tell you that Newstead went down to 218 last year. PM me!
Hello Tired mum,
Thanks for your message. When did they confirm your daughters selection last year? Aparently he contacted the school to find out the score that they are sending the letters for the second selection, but they haven't told him.
Tired Mum

Post by Tired Mum »

Hi Harrowboy,

We were told at the end of March that we were 'first' on the list - what that actually meant was all the girls on 219 (from memory 8 ) were 'first'. You need to establish from Mr Read (at the school office) what type of 'fifth' they are talking about. The school and Mr Read in particular were very helpful (ok so sometimes I did not think so but....rose tinted glasses now). April will be dreadful as you wait while the school faffs about with the list (go to my posts last year about this process (I hope they will not be doing this again :evil: ). I got wind that we would be very likely to get a place around about the end of April (so although still worried my hair stopped turning grey) as I recall but the letter and formal phone call were not until mid-May...... :oops: torture! I know that reasonably quickly after that they went to 218 - certainly by the end of May. Now that my daughter is in the school I understand that this is the typical lower score.
Incidentally, don't forget that a lot of the girls on 219 will not acccept the offer - we know 2 of the 8 that did not (not sure how many did though) and the same will be the case with 218.

Keep your head up!

reTired Mum