Info about Pates ranking

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

smileandsparkle

Info about Pates ranking

Post by smileandsparkle »

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd share this information that we learned at the Pates open evening in case anyone didn't go to it but still put them down to share with.

I'm reading through last years results and a lot of posters are questioning how a DC can rank very well (place 30 odd) for Ribston, for example, but not get within the top 200 for Pates.

When we went to look round, the Head explained that although all Grammars have a minimum pass mark, Pates have a minimum pass mark for EACH section (VR/NVR/Maths etc) and you have to meet the minimum for all the sections to achieve pass mark and THEN be within the top 200.

So some DCs will pass well for other grammars by having strengths in certain areas which counteract the weaknesses as they are only looking for the overall score, however Pates need balanced strengths across all the areas.

Anyway - you all probably know this, but just in case anyone didn't, I thought this might help explain the huge difference in rankings!!
stroudydad

Re: Info about Pates ranking

Post by stroudydad »

So I guess what Pates are in effect saying is: 'The world is full of people who have strengths and weaknesses but we cont care about them'
CKMum

Post by CKMum »

My understanding is that they are wanting to get a better ratio of girls/boys. It has been top heavy towards boys for many years, so by in effect 'normalising' across all the disciplines hopefully this will not favour either gender specifically, but allow the children who will thrive across all subjects achieve that.

Don't know for certain, just my two pennies worth!

All the best - not long now....
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

CKMum wrote:My understanding is that they are wanting to get a better ratio of girls/boys. It has been top heavy towards boys for many years, so by in effect 'normalising' across all the disciplines hopefully this will not favour either gender specifically, but allow the children who will thrive across all subjects achieve that.

Don't know for certain, just my two pennies worth!

All the best - not long now....
How does this change anything to do with gender? it just ensures those that have a weakness are at a disadvantage.
CKMum

Post by CKMum »

I think anecdotically the system favoured boys with strong NV/Maths, but weaker V skills - but strong enough in NV/Maths that it didn't matter, whereas girls are often perceived in be stronger in V reasoning, so by normalising maybe it reduces perceived bias? Maybe in fact - this favours girls - who knows?

No facts - just thoughts.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

i hope you are right, but being a naturally cynical person I tend to think that this is more end results based than to help some girls out.. :(
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

Thanks for this, it is really useful to know.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

steppemum wrote:Thanks for this, it is really useful to know.

6.2 Qualifying Standard and Oversubscription Criteria
In order to be eligible for admission to the school, candidates must achieve the Qualifying Standard, to include minimum standards in each part of the test. This is not a pre-defined pass mark, but reflects a child’s position in the rank order of standardised scores in the Admissions Test. Pate’s will qualify 225 children for entry into year 7.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Debims

Post by Debims »

Does anyone know how far down the ranking Pate's got last year? DS has ranked 175 - any idea anyone whether that is something to be hopeful of, or not? It's our local school so would be happy to send him there, though we would be delighted with Tommies too where he is within PAN.
chumba

Post by chumba »

Hi Debims, that would have got him in last year. DD was in 170's and allocated a place in March and I think they went down to 190's, but I can't be completely sure about that! Well done to your DS.