Stroud High School - thoughts pls?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kittymom

Stroud High School - thoughts pls?

Post by kittymom »

Hi. DD just received rankings for SHS and Ribston, but not for Crypt - which is where she was hoping to go. As SHS was a little far and we had expected a ranking from Crypt, we hadn't actually done any research into SHS.

Could I please have your thoughts/experiences of SHS for research purposes? I will go with DD to see the school next week, but there's nothing like an actual parent to tell it like it is! We're interested in the Creative Arts particularly - music, drama and art. Any information about concerts, extra curricular clubs etc would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance... :D
RedVelvet

Re: Stroud High School - thoughts pls?

Post by RedVelvet »

There's an open evening tomorrow if you're free.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

My DD2 is year 10 at SHS and loves the subjects you mentioned. She is doing all of them for GCSE. She has some of her instrument lessons at school, plays in the orchestra and sometimes in the string group. She sings in the choir and has just started an acapella group with her friends. There is a music concert each term for parents to attend. The senior children have just begun rehearsing a musical in conjunction with Marling school.

I think there is a lunchtime drama group for KS3 and I think an art club too. There are usually House Music or drama competitions each year and a talent show too.

I know less about the art provision so I will leave someone else to comment on that, although my DD seems happy with it and is improving rapidly.

Have you considered going to the open evening tomorrow as well as the day time tours next week?
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

Hi kittymom :D

DD2 is in Y10 at SHS. I was very wary of her going there but it has been just fine. The art department is amazing - lots going on and a wide choice of things to do. The work produced is really good and they get great GCSE results. The girls can apply to be Art Ambassadors which gives them the opportunity to take part in extra-curricular courses and trips (an help at open evening tomorrow :lol: ). Art club runs on a Monday after school. GCSE's are available in Fine Art, Photography, and Art Textiles as well as the DT options of Graphics and Textiles.

Music is pretty good. The usual selection of music lessons are available as well as choir and orchestra. Orchestra (combined with Marling) is after school on a Friday for around Grade 4 and up, junior orchestra runs in the summer term only. There is also a string group (Friday lunchtimes), folk band, clarinet ensemble and a flute group I think. There is an autumn concert for lower school, a Christmas service/concert in the church, and a summer concert. The girls are also expected to play in the Marling concerts if they are in the orchestra. The music department seems to be open to suggestions from the pupils and quite often the concerts seem to be student led.

Not so sure about the drama. They do a yearly school play - this year it's combined with Marling and is a musical (I think it's the one with Queen songs? Could be wrong). Last year it was SHS only and was The Vackees.

I have been impressed with Student Services. They seem very approachable and the girls seem to be able to go with any problem and it will be sorted. They are also a mine of useful information (for students, not parents).
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Hi there.
Have Daughter in year 11. All the other posts have been spot on so I won't repeat the details, but I will confirm that Student services are excellent... the girls can speak to them about absolutely anything and it gets dealt with... but most importantly the girls feel Able to do this..
the music, Art/Dt departments are brilliant as mentioned by others. In all aspects of school life the girls are expected to be responsible for themselves and their learning. Small examples such as having to apply join the school council and for prefects there is a several stage process to apply. They have lots of fun too and are encouraged to set up clubs etc.

We love the School and would happily have sent all of our children there..
the real icing is that DD loves it..

I do recommend going to the open evening tonight.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

My daughter says student services is like having your Mum at school!
Amber

Post by Amber »

RedVelvet wrote:My daughter says student services is like having your Mum at school!
Is that good or bad? :wink: :)
tabbycat

Post by tabbycat »

I have DD1 at Ribston (Y9) and DD2 at SHS (Y7) and they are both brilliant schools so I would choose the school which is closer to you. We are much closer to SHS but DD1's ranking for SHS was not high enough so DD1 is at Ribston whereas DD2 was lucky enough to have a choice and she wanted to go to a different school from her big sister! I must say that DD2 has already mentioned the student service at SHS several times so they must be really good!!
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

dd is in SHS in year 8.
I was worried about her as she tends to be quiet in class and can get overshadowed.

Well, she has blossomed, loves school, has become more confident in who she is (as a trouser wearing, short haired, boy scout, she definitely goes against the grain, and that has been posisble here)
She has tried so many things - archery, textile club, windband, choir, debating club, etc etc.

I love the school, really seems to have loads of support, really believes in developing whole child, dd loves it.
Homework has been very manageable - she seems to do most of it at lunchtime!

We travel quite a way so it was a big decision, but I don't regret it at all.

Having said that , I bet loads of Ribston parents would say the same, and so I would go for the school which is easiest to travel to.
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Lots of great feedback, thank you!

Any views on the Science / STEM provision?