Selective schools

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pippy85

Selective schools

Post by pippy85 »

Etienne.

Our daughter, missed the pass mark by 3 points (Sept born) to gain a place at a selective school, she is on the waiting list but we have just been notified there is still no place for her.This grammar stream have 30 places, which they have offered, but they also take 30 pupils from the non-selective school and filter them into the grammar stream after their SATS in may. Can they do this when there are children on the waiting list who have gained sufficient points to be on the waiting list ? Have you any knowledge of this. And if so is there any advice on this that an appeal panel would listen to.l
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Sorry to reply when I am not Etienne, but was a little puzzled by the question. I guess she will understand it as she is so experienced in all things school!

It was the bit about filtering pupils from the non-selective school into the grammar stream in May after the SATS results. At this stage, the children are still at primary school so what do you mean? Does this school offer 30 places in March on the basis of some kind of 11+ exam, and 30 places in May on the basis of SATS results? If so, how does this fit with the LA admissions system where schools are expected to allocate all their places in March?

And you refer to a grammar stream, so is there a higher intake than 60, with another stream that is not of grammar school standard?

What is this school's admissions policy? I think they have to operate the waiting list according to the admissions policy. Are they doing this or not?

Does this mean that your daughter has a place in the non-grammar stream and could herself be "filtered in" after the SATs results in May?

Good luck.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Some background for those interested -

In Rugby (Warwickshire) there are 2 grammar schools - 1 girls, 1 boys - plus a bilateral school. The bilateral school has a 'grammar stream' of 30 children, selected through the 11+ exam with the same entrance criteria as the other 2. There are other bilateral schools in the UK but they are few and far between.

The pass mark for the 11+ in Rugby this year was 214 with children being placed on the waiting list at 206 (boys school) 203 (girls) 198 (bilateral) [can't remember exact scores but these are about right!]. It is a commonly held belief that the grammar stream is increased to 60 in September by selecting the children with the highest SATs scores who had not been allocated a grammar place. I don't know how true this is.... It is certainly something that the school have never mentioned; in all literature there is only talk of '30 grammar places per year'.

Pippy85 - As I mentioned to you before, don't give up hope of a grammar place from the waiting list! I know that in other areas schools over offer & very few people turn down places, but it is very different in Rugby. To my knowledge, the LEA do not over offer and as I've said before - Many places are declined by children going to independents (I know of at least 8 ).

How far down the list is your daughter?
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

We have a bilateral school in Bexley (Erith). But I'm certain places there are filled at the same time as all the other schools in Bexley. I can't see how it would work otherwise.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Sorry, obviously didn't explain very well.

The places ARE filled. The 'extra' 30 children supposedly moved into the grammar stream are from within the school's September intake.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

things are a little clearer after the further information from other contributors. But it would still be better to have some more information from Pippy to enable the correct answer to be given by someone on the forum.

So has Pippy's daughter been offered a place in the non-selective stream of the bilateral school, and placed on the waiting list for the selective stream?

If not, why not go on the waiting list for the bilateral school (regardless of whether it is for the grammar stream or not), appeal for a place (not necessarily for the grammar stream), and if you are lucky to get a place in the non-selective stream hope that your daughter gets good enough SATs results to be moved up into the grammar stream.

Does this school move people around between the grammar and non-grammar stream during their school life if necessary?

what has the admissions authority for the school told you about suitable grounds for appeal?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Like Perplexed, I was a bit puzzled to begin with, but if the real question is "Can 30 children who have been admitted under other (non-selective) criteria be taught in parallel with those who gained entry through the test?", then I would have thought the answer is "Yes".

Provided that places have been allocated strictly according to the admission criteria, how a school then organises its teaching groups is a matter for the school to decide.
Etienne
pippy85

Selective schools

Post by pippy85 »

Thanks for all your comments,
Having spoken to the admissions authority, there has been no rejections as yet for the selective / non selective. our daughter is on both waiting lists, the only option is to go to appeal.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Sorry pippy85 - Your daughter missed the pass mark by 3 points? Do you mean the 214 pass mark? If so she must be very high up on the waiting list and I'm surprised she has not been offered a place already on 211....

I know of several children with scores between 202 and 210 who gained a place in the selective stream at this school.

There are definately children turning places down - however, have just thought that children out of catchments are included in the second round of offers. This may well mean that no in catchment waiting list children get in at all...... Just a thought. Sorry.
pippy85

selective schools

Post by pippy85 »

Thanks Charlotte
Didn't realise they took out of area children after 1st round of offers .