Safe rank for Tommies

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dr.watson

Safe rank for Tommies

Post by dr.watson »

Hi,

My son has been ranked 305. Can you please advise if this is safe? The letter says that 2017 Lowest Rank was 265 but they're adding 30 places next year (150 boys from 120). A total of 883 applied for Tommies.

Cheers,
Dr. Watson
stroudydad

Re: Safe rank for Tommies

Post by stroudydad »

Hi DR Watson.
Unfortunately I would say not. Obviously no one knows for sure but the extra places that both Crypt and Tommies are putting on will likely be nearly negated by the introduction of girls at Crypt.

Did he qualify for any others or were you you only interested in Tommies?
dr.watson

Post by dr.watson »

Hi, Tommies is convenient to us. He got 514 rank out of 1818 at Crypt which will be our 2nd choice (1-600 are considered to have achieved a qualifying standard and our last preference would be Marling. He got 251 there. Last year they took 384.

Cheers,
Dr. Watson.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

We shall all have to wait and see.. but I would guess it will be Marling that is offered.
FFF1-8

Post by FFF1-8 »

dr.watson wrote:Hi, Tommies is convenient to us. He got 514 rank out of 1818 at Crypt which will be our 2nd choice (1-600 are considered to have achieved a qualifying standard and our last preference would be Marling. He got 251 there. Last year they took 384.

Cheers,
Dr. Watson.
Please note the 384 at Marling would have included a child admitted on appeal meaning on allocations day the rank could have been 300 for example
cazien

Post by cazien »

dr.watson wrote:Hi,

My son has been ranked 305. Can you please advise if this is safe? The letter says that 2017 Lowest Rank was 265 but they're adding 30 places next year (150 boys from 120). A total of 883 applied for Tommies.

Cheers,
Dr. Watson
Unfortunately I would also have to agree it is not a safe rank - but who knows! As Amber has stated in other sections, people are not opting for Pates as a first choice - which rapidly fills up STR and HSFG. Put your order of preference and as stroudydad says wait and see. Good luck.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

FFF1-8 wrote:
dr.watson wrote:Hi, Tommies is convenient to us. He got 514 rank out of 1818 at Crypt which will be our 2nd choice (1-600 are considered to have achieved a qualifying standard and our last preference would be Marling. He got 251 there. Last year they took 384.

Cheers,
Dr. Watson.
Please note the 384 at Marling would have included a child admitted on appeal meaning on allocations day the rank could have been 300 for example
You are incorrect.. this was on allocations day..
Wolczr

Post by Wolczr »

Dear all

apologies for my ignorance at the outset. I have been following things very closely and after much have struggled to find much information on how the ranking system works. My understanding is this (and please, somebody, correct me if i am wrong): all the children receive a rank depending on their score. Their rank relates to the whole region (all grammar schools in the region) and not a specific school. So if a school identifies a rank of say 250 as a qualifying score, that is a rank across all schools i.e. it is not the case that if a school has 150 places and somebody has a score of 250, then they are 100 places out. In other words, the ranking is across all schools and not just individual schools. is this correct? I ask as we are going through this next year.
can'tthinkofone

Post by can'tthinkofone »

stroudydad - on the emails for HSFG they are quoting a figure of 364 that they allocated to last year but as someone who went through the appeal process last year I know that on allocation day it was actually 314 on allocation day according to the schools response to our appeal. The 364 referred to a child who was allocated a space after reconsideration (I think this is between 1st March and 31st March) under the education act as they had a statement.

My DD ranked between these numbers and we had to appeal for a place. It did cause some confusion at the time with me frantically checking that I hadn't missed a response or not ticked the right box but I asked the school and they clarified that she got a place ahead of my DD because of the education act.

I obviously don't know about other schools - do you have any information that may substantiate the numbers further and be useful for this years applicants?
can'tthinkofone

Post by can'tthinkofone »

Wolczr wrote:Dear all

apologies for my ignorance at the outset. I have been following things very closely and after much have struggled to find much information on how the ranking system works. My understanding is this (and please, somebody, correct me if i am wrong): all the children receive a rank depending on their score. Their rank relates to the whole region (all grammar schools in the region) and not a specific school. So if a school identifies a rank of say 250 as a qualifying score, that is a rank across all schools i.e. it is not the case that if a school has 150 places and somebody has a score of 250, then they are 100 places out. In other words, the ranking is across all schools and not just individual schools. is this correct? I ask as we are going through this next year.
You get a different rank for each school as it depends on who shares their results with that school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now