Homework at Beths and Chis & Sid

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
phina1

Homework at Beths and Chis & Sid

Post by phina1 »

Existing parents of Year 7/8/9 children at Beth's and Chis & Sid. Can you please share with me how much homework they get per night (on average). We've just visited Beth's and the Year 8 that showed us around seemed to think he got about 3 hours of homework per night (eek!).

I spoke with the deputy head and he seemed to think it would be up to an hour for Year 7, slightly more for year 8s. Just trying to get a better sense of what the reality is please!
Mich895

Re: Homework at Beths and Chis & Sid

Post by Mich895 »

Hi phina1,

My DD has just gone into year 10 at Chis & Sids. For years 7 to 9 she was probably given an hour to 90 mins homework per evening split over a few subjects. The largest amounts of homework were always art projects which she was given 6 weeks to complete so they could take a bit of time. If she was given essay type homework she usually did those at the weekend when she had more time. Year 10 is a different story though and she is being given a lot more!
candy floss

Post by candy floss »

Hi phina 1

My DS is in year 9 at Beths and there is no way he ever did 3 hours homework a night in years 7 & 8. Sometimes we may have see him doing half an hour to an hour but certainly not every night. I often felt that he did not get enough homework in those years, only because I do think a regular amount of homework gets children into good habits with how they tackle it.

There is definitely more homework in Year 9 and I would say on average he is doing 1.5/2 hours each night. The school do spread it out well though so we don't get many occasions where he's cramming 3 or 4 subject into one night.......and if we do see that, it's because he's conveniently left it until the last minute!
salsa

Post by salsa »

I think it depends on the child. I do find that with the Internet, children are supposed to research topics and get sidetracked. This could be in a good way as they are learning more, but it is very difficult to focus. Although not at Beths, but DGS, both my sons have found it difficult to concentrate in year 7 and have spent a lot longer doing their homework than they should have. My eldest is now in year 10 and has a lot more homework now than in previous years. Therefore, he cannot afford to get sidetracked.

Salsa
anon

Post by anon »

Hi Phina 1,
I have a DS currently in year 8 at Beths and there is no way he gets 3 hours homework each night. In year 7 he was averaging 30 - 40 minutes homework each night at best. Some nights there was nothing. I was actually surprised at how little there was. This year the homework has increased to maybe an hour a night. Homework mainly comprises of research, languages, English and Maths. Some boys are enrolled on the Mandarin Excellence Programme which generates a lot more study so maybe the year 8 showing you around had more work because of this.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now