WoK Annexe admission

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BR6mum

WoK Annexe admission

Post by BR6mum »

DD gained a Kent test pass of 349. We love Weald of Kent, and this is our top choice, but we're BR6 Orpington based.
I expect we won't get in on initial offer day, but may I ask how girls in Orpington have fared getting into WoK previously? Did they all eventually get in on waiting lists or appeals? I assume Orpington girls would get the Annexe, which we are more than happy with. Just wondering if it is purely a case of waiting/appealing, and it will probably happen.. or still a very slim chance.
Other than Weald, I suspect with the pass score achieved, maybe only Wilmington is another option.
Thanks in advance
Mehere

Re: WoK Annexe admission

Post by Mehere »

I think you have a good chance of a place at WOK annexe from Orpington but until March 1st no one knows for sure. There are quite a few Y7 girls catching the 431 bus which starts in Orpington to WOK annexe. Hopefully a current Y7 parent will post a reply to let you know if they were allocated an annexe place on March 1st or later. I am aware of current Y7 girls further away than Orpington who achieved a place through appeal.

I understand that last year there were initially going to be 90 places available at the annexe but during the appeals process this was increased to 120 i.e. an extra class of 30. I believe, but don't have exact figures, that at the appeal stage there were approx. 10 to 20 girls who had passed the test and were appealing.

If you don't get allocated a place on March 1st then I advise you to submit an appeal. There was a poster on here last year whose DD had passed but didn't do this and I believe that when the appeals started (June) she found out that people further away received a place. If you are lucky enough to receive a place from the waiting list before your appeal date you can cancel your appeal. If the appeals process decides the school can accommodate an extra class you will need to part of the appeals process to get one of these places, because appeals are separate to the waiting list.

Mrs Manning - the admissions lady at WOK - is very helpful as I know from personal experience. I live in a similar area to you and have an older DD at the Tonbridge site. We were allocated a place from the waiting list before the appeals started so were able to cancel our appeal. We are really happy with the school.

You also asked about Wilmington. My gut feeling here is that Orpington is now too far away for a place unless you have a high maths score. On another thread it mentioned the distance they came out last year was only 2.719 miles. If you have space on your CAF you could always include it, you will need to if you want to make an appeal.

Good luck for March 1st
BR5mum

Post by BR5mum »

I went to the WoK Sevenoaks open morning last Wednesday. The Admissions guy had a list of the current Year 7 by postcode for each site. For Sevenoaks, I think there were 14 from BR6, 3 from BR5 and 2 from BR2. For Tonbridge there were only 2 from BR6. The other girls were from non-BR postcodes.

Apparently the distance came out to 25 miles on offer day, although the catchment was further last year due to the extra class that was created. The distance is measured from the Tonbridge site for offer day. You only fill in a site preference form after you have been made an offer. If one site is oversubscribed, then the places will be allocated by distance from each site, and you will be offered the other site if you do not get your first choice. The staff said that everyone got the site that they chose this year.

Hope that helps. I would say you'd have a good chance of getting in. There's an open morning at WoK Tonbridge tomorrow morning, might be worth going to speak to the Admissions person there.

I think you need a top 12 Maths score to get into Wilmington, if you do not live close by to Wilmington.
BR6mum

Post by BR6mum »

Thanks for your replies. Sorry it took so long to come back to you.

I am hopeful for Weald, so that will go 1st choice. Now just got to decide on 2nd and 3rd :?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now