Chelmsford and slough marks relation.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
shiv07

Chelmsford and slough marks relation.

Post by shiv07 »

Does anyone know how much scores for slough and chelmsford girls is related.
Since woodford county ,chelmsford girls and slough use the same exam their scores are well related .
I know between woodford and Chelmsford it is -3 .
Anyone who knows approx relation between slough and chelmsford for girls please.
Reading Mum

Re: Chelmsford and slough marks relation.

Post by Reading Mum »

I can't imagine there are many occasions where those 2 exams would be sat by the same child - it would make no geographical sense. Both exams may be set by CEM but that doesn't necessarily mean that the exams are the same, and the standardised scores are based on the cohort sitting each exam so there may be no correlation.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I believe it is the same exam and there is the possibility of sharing scores

However as RM says I doubt there are more than the odd one or two opting to share scores as geographically they aren't anywhere near each other. I don't think I've come across anyone on the forum who has.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Tinkers wrote:I believe it is the same exam and there is the possibility of sharing scores

However as RM says I doubt there are more than the odd one or two opting to share scores as geographically they aren't anywhere near each other. I don't think I've come across anyone on the forum who has.
You have probably not been looking hard enough, Tinkers :shock: .

The score will vary according to the cohort it is made up of. So for example, if everyone who registers for CCHS also registers for Woodford and nobody else does, and none of those Woodford registrants register elsewhere either, the standardised scores for each will be the same.

If the two cohorts aren't exactly the same girls, it's unlikely to be a blanket difference between scores, because each raw score which differs from the core joint set will be a different amount away from the mean.

Anyway, do you want to live in / near Slough, in / near Chelmsford, or within the common catchment area for the Redbridge grammar schools? I know which one I'd vote for, but some people actually like Slough. And Ilford and it's environs. Chacun a son gout, as the French say with more accents on.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
neo1232

Post by neo1232 »

shiv07 - I hope that you are not planning to pick up Crossrail every day from Slough :)

Regarding Slough and CCHS - they are fundamentally based on same raw score , so I would imagine that if you get high score in Slough (for example 130+) you would imagine same kind of high score in CCHS even though they have totally different cohort -(since you are right side of bell curve for Slough - as per my understanding.)

Different cohort should make difference but I would not imagine that will be very drastic.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Same exam is sat by the two reading schools and the Slough schools and a good many more opt to share their results.

For the last two years there has been 9/10mark difference between the Reading scores and the Slough scores. The qualifying scores aren’t that different either.
shiv07

Post by shiv07 »

Reading and slough scores are +- 10.....that is observed in last years as against the bookish theory (of different cohorts so no relation)
Again redbridge and chelmsford +- 3.

If they had no relation because of different cohorts then how come scores ratio is same year after year.

Meaning to say...there is a relation...you accept it or not.
However i dont have the idea between slough and chelmsford.

I am not planning for any drastic journeys...as i am open to relocation...it was sensible to simply opt for regions which uses same exams.

Our slough score are123...wondering will it be any close to chelmsford cutoff....the wait for results are killing me. :(
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

shiv07 wrote:Reading and slough scores are +- 10.....that is observed in last years as against the bookish theory (of different cohorts so no relation)
Again redbridge and chelmsford +- 3.

If they had no relation because of different cohorts then how come scores ratio is same year after year.

Meaning to say...there is a relation...you accept it or not.
However i dont have the idea between slough and chelmsford.

I am not planning for any drastic journeys...as i am open to relocation...it was sensible to simply opt for regions which uses same exams.

Our slough score are123...wondering will it be any close to chelmsford cutoff....the wait for results are killing me. :(
I'm sorry, but however similar the relationship may appear for the small sample of scores quoted on the forum, there really is no fixed relationship which will apply in the case of every individual whose raw scores are being standardised in the cohorts for any given pair / trio / entire available selection of schools using the same CEM entrance exam.

Odd that you should be so scornful of the 'bookish' method when it is entrance exams for academically selective schools that are under discussion, btw :lol: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

There is a sort of relationship between Reading and Slough scores are there are a fair number who share their scores. A good couple of hundred for Kendrick this year sat elsewhere and shared their score, a fair number sitting at kendrick will have shared scores with Slough. There have been similar figures in the past. As some DCs have a decent chance of being able to choose between Reading schools or Slough schools this is not unsurprising.

However I expect very few people will opt to share scores between any of the Berkshire schools and Chelmsford as they aren’t exactly next door to each other. So we have no past figures to go on. As far as I know no one on the forum has posted both scores. Most will not be thinking about relocating (despite the numbers we see on here saying they are, that’s not representative of the cohort as a whole).

One last thought. Have you checked the various admissions criteria for the schools you are interested in to check their residency rules, catchments etc.

Cross post with TM
shiv07

Post by shiv07 »

Yes i have all the info. About the schools i am interested in.
There is a preference as plan A then comes planB Then plan c and so on.
Slough is the last on preference and plan.
Yes i agree not many have taken the two exams(chelmsford and slough) but there are people who registered at slough because it requires no extra effort from parents or children. It was one exam on 16th at your prefered location.
I know quite few parents who have done it this year.

I searched and could find a 2014 post where a score was 135 in slough and 117 or so in chelmsford.
That has given me a big tension.

Many here just like my better half would think i have lost my mind but yes thats the fact.
Trying to corelate not so often corelated marks has given me a headache.

I will have my answer on tuesday...but that wait seems to be taking forever.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now