Aylesbury Boys or Royal latin or Sir Henry Floyd

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
beoptima

Aylesbury Boys or Royal latin or Sir Henry Floyd

Post by beoptima »

Dear All
DS qualified..many thanks for all the help.

We live in Milton Keynes and need guidance on which is these schools would be a better option. We are caught between Aylesbury Boys & Royal Latin (which is just 15 min commute from our place) but would appreciate any inputs you can offer that can help us choose the order of preference

many thanks
anotherdad

Re: Aylesbury Boys or Royal latin or Sir Henry Floyd

Post by anotherdad »

beoptima wrote:Dear All

We live in Milton Keynes and need guidance on which is these schools would be a better option. We are caught between Aylesbury Boys & Royal Latin (which is just 15 min commute from our place) but would appreciate any inputs you can offer that can help us choose the order of preference

many thanks
What did you think of each when you visited them?

All other things being broadly equal, I'd always go for the easier commute so that your son can play a full part in any post-school activities and doesn't have a horrible journey every day.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Knowing all three we chose the Floyd, DS was very happy there.

AGS - single gender - we did not like the 'old boy/male' feel of the school - its site is not great either.

RLS - did not like the lack of 'individuality' - no orchestra/low profile music, lots of staff changes, lots of negatives in the 'show'

SHFGS - a school on the way up not sitting on its laurels - great facilities for all subjects [equally value all abilities], good pastoral support, great SEN support.

What were your thoughts?
beoptima

Post by beoptima »

anotherdad wrote:
beoptima wrote:Dear All

many thanks
What did you think of each when you visited them?

All other things being broadly equal, I'd always go for the easier commute so that your son can play a full part in any post-school activities and doesn't have a horrible journey every day.
Thank you. We liked all 3 to be honest but were slightly more inclined towards Aylesbury Boys but I agree with you on post school activities. It gives us a good view to think about the options
beoptima

Post by beoptima »

Guest55 wrote:Knowing all three we chose the Floyd, DS was very happy there.

AGS - single gender - we did not like the 'old boy/male' feel of the school - its site is not great either.

RLS - did not like the lack of 'individuality' - no orchestra/low profile music, lots of staff changes, lots of negatives in the 'show'

SHFGS - a school on the way up not sitting on its laurels - great facilities for all subjects [equally value all abilities], good pastoral support, great SEN support.

What were your thoughts?
Many thanks. We were slightly more inclined towards AGS but SHF was equally good no doubt. RLS, we felt convenient purely from commute point of view but there was nothing more that showed it was any better than AGS or SHF. As you said SHF spent a lot for the new science facility and looking to constantly improve
ConfusedAylesburyMum

Post by ConfusedAylesburyMum »

I have my ds at AGS and dd at SHF. Based on that my preference would be SHF. Better pastoral care, encourages individuality and looks to support the child not simply hand out detentions! Better music department and if you love sport you are likely to be encouraged even if you are not if the highest standard.
jackman

Post by jackman »

OP - Are you sure that you will get a place in Aylesbury or Buckingham from MK as it is technically OOC? The allocation distances are shrinking and I am worried that this may be the year where MK pupils don't get a place in Aylesbury or Buckingham GS because the schools have reached their PAN from within catchment.

I am in MK as well and am getting worried abt this.

Moreover, MK council CAF has only 4 choices (Bucks have 6) which makes it more difficult if one of the choices is used with a borderline QE score.
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

Vote from me for SHF.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

QE :shock:

Why would you put this if you live in MK???

There are some great schools in MK - put a Bucks GS down 1st and 2nd and then two local choices? Make sure you will get one of the MK choices.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

jackman wrote:The allocation distances are shrinking and I am worried that this may be the year where MK pupils don't get a place in Aylesbury or Buckingham GS because the schools have reached their PAN from within catchment.
I'm not sure where you are getting the impression that allocation distances are shrinking? The distances for all four grammar schools in Aylesbury and Buckingham have been very consistent for over a decade.

**** will freeze over before the Aylesbury schools allocate solely to catchment, simply because of their proximity to the county boundary. Simple geography.