practice papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
incegreen

practice papers

Post by incegreen »

:( My daughter did dreadfully in her first familiarisation. She got a very low score, however this was back in July but she only just got the score today. Over the summer she did lots of practice and last week did a mock test and scored very highly. Can she really have improved that much over the summer?
Not sure what to believe. Having got this score today she has lost all confidence and so have i.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Incegreen

Do not despair, as you stated, your daughter did this test 2 months ago, she has had further practice since then and scored highly! Keep up the practice.

What papers are you using at home?

Is there a type of question she is struggling on? Assume K is a problem, have replied to you re this type on a different thread.

Patricia
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi incegreen

Yes, she can have improved that much over the summer. You should take heart from the most recent scores which show that she now has the knack. My son's first score on an 11+ paper was below 50% - he got all the questions he answered right, but just didn't go fast enough to get through them all.

Timing, familiarity, nerves, they all play a part. Ignore the first result and focus on the scores she is now getting.

Sally-Anne
incegreen

help

Post by incegreen »

Thanks - shall focus on the positves.
However not sure if you saw my other reply but on Monday my daughter broke her arm badly and had to have a major operation. It is her left arm but shes finding things quite hard and painful. They had to set it twisted so she cant put it down comfortably to write - she is trying her best.
We are practicing, although i feel awful beacuse she is still groggy and uncomfortable. I am concerned that the shock may set us right back and i dont want to push her.
Having gone through appeal last year with my son, i know they really need to be exceptional circumstances for them to back you - is my daughter execptional? Should i contact county beforehand as she will still be in plaster during the tests?
Maybe someone has some ideas. :(

Post by Guest »

Hi Incegreen

I'm very sorry to hear about that - I am a veteran of broken arms myself.

I am sure there is a provision in the 11+ regulations for a child to have an adult with them to write the answers if they have a disability - temporary or permanent. If she has the use of only one arm it could affect her timing - all sorts of things, so yes, speak to the school, speak to county - anyone!

Good luck
Sally-Anne
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Dear Incegreen,

Don't be disheartened. I am sure that Patricia will advise you on the best way to get through this.
You mentioned that your daughter got a high score on the mock test. Was it one of the Bucks familiarisation test ? If not, what paper was it? NFER, IPS or other? It is very important that she practices with the appropiate papers until the exam.

Good luck

Catherine
incegreen

which papers?

Post by incegreen »

She has done all the 30 minute IPS practices and got 85% on a majority of them.
We`ve just done NFER familiarization test 11D. She got 90% in 40 mins but i think it may have been quite easy.
I have some Bright Sparks papers which we may try next.
Apparently the NFER Go Practise series is quite good but i`m having trouble getting them.
Also have Secondary Porfolio Packs.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Incegreen

Have replied re broken arm on a different thread.

Re practice papers, Secondary portfolio are not Bucks relevant, please do not use them.

Bright sparks should be used before NFER.

When completing NFER, remember that HIKNOS are missing, as identified by IPS, ensure you practice these along side.

Scoring 90% in 40 mins is very good.

Patrica
incegreen

practice papers

Post by incegreen »

So weve done all the NFER, IPS papers what next?
Shall i bother with Bright Sparks?
Thanks
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Incegreen

I tend to keep NFER till last, as it is practice in the same format.

Yes, you can still complete Bright Sparks, very similar.

Patricia