BUCKS RESULTS 13TH OCTOBER: Please read this before posting

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
1lurker

Re: BUCKS RESULTS 13TH OCTOBER: Please read this before post

Post by 1lurker »

Well done to all who qualified and commiserations to those who didn’t...

Could a knowledgable one expand on * prediction of KS2 scores of 110+ please regards academic evidence for a selection review?

I have a meeting to discuss a selection review with my DDs new head teacher on Monday and so it would be useful to be pointed in the right direction to understand the new grading system... ( clearly I have not been paying attention!)

My daughter scored 120, as did her brother 5 yrs ago and so I know from bitter experience this score is no guarantee of success at review!

Incidentally for those going through this for the first time, there is life after the 11+. It isn’t the be all and end all, even if that’s how it feels today! Your child will get where they need to be in the end ... it could be joining in year 8 as both my older children have or sixth form. I know two children who have joined our local Grammar this year in year 12 with a haul of 10 A and A* / 8s & 9s achieved whilst attending the high school... now that has got to feel good and it makes me smile every time I think of their achievement! The easy path is not necessarily the right path for all children. Not qualifying can motivate a child to show the world they are great!

Thanks in advance :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Does this help?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/scaled-scor ... ey-stage-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1lurker

Post by 1lurker »

Perfect ! Thank you :D
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

Sorry to hear your daughter has missed out Aethel but I'm glad she has taken it so well. I do feel sure my son is suited for GS and I think and hope his school do too.

Thank you for your kind words Sally-Anne-I will no doubt spend my weekend looking at the selection review section on here!

How did your son get on Blueberry? PM me if you want to.

Congratulations again to all who have qualified and commiserations to those who haven't.
deebee

Post by deebee »

Hi guys!

My son has just qualified for the burnham grammar school

Hope your results are good and wish you the best of luck :D
Karma67

Post by Karma67 »

streathammum wrote:
I'm not an expert but I would think it would be quite difficult to get a positive HT review unless this result was totally unexpected and completely at odds with all of his previous work. You have nothing to lose by asking for an informal discussion with the Head, but I would imagine it won't be straightforward from here.
Yes The result is totally out of the blue , which was reflected in my post...[/quote]

Obviously it was unexpected by you, but is it also unexpected by the school? What has the school said about your son's progress at parents' evenings etc? Unless the school completely expected him to pass it will be difficult for you. The gap is so big I would imagine you would need some particular reason or explanation as to why his result was so far below the cut-off.[/quote]

Yes it was unexpected by the school aswell, parents evenings always glowing comments on how bright he is, performing above the national standard etc, I don't know why you feel the compulsion to question my comments, I'm not a fantasist, I'm very grounded about my children's abilities, if you read my original post about spelling age tested at 6 1/2 being recorded as 13 1/2 would reflect his academic ability!
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Karma67 wrote:Yes it was unexpected by the school aswell, parents evenings always glowing comments on how bright he is, performing above the national standard etc, I don't know why you feel the compulsion to question my comments, I'm not a fantasist, I'm very grounded about my children's abilities, if you read my original post about spelling age tested at 6 1/2 being recorded as 13 1/2 would reflect his academic ability!
streathammum is only highlighting the points you and the school will need to address if you opt for a review and need to provide compelling evidence of suitability for a grammar school. Spelling age is just one attribute of several that will indicate suitability. With a lot of ground to make up on the score, you will have to hope that the school reflect what they've been telling you in their submission, not just in spelling age but across all areas. It will have to convince a panel that the result was completely at odds with your son's normal level of performance.
Karma67

Post by Karma67 »

I was using that as an example of his ability. I've been through selection review before, and we were successful, and know the requirements etc. I don't want to get into a massive debate etc on it all, maybe the comments were meant to be well meaning but I thought they came across as a bit condescending.... maybe just my interpretation....
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

deebee wrote:Hi guys!

My son has just qualified for the burnham grammar school

Hope your results are good and wish you the best of luck :D
Congratulations to your DS :D

I assume you mean, he was assessed suitable for grammar school and you are confident that he meets the other entry criteria for Burnham? Nobody has a confirmed place anywhere until March 1st.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Karma67 wrote:I was using that as an example of his ability. I've been through selection review before, and we were successful, and know the requirements etc. I don't want to get into a massive debate etc on it all, maybe the comments were meant to be well meaning but I thought they came across as a bit condescending.... maybe just my interpretation....
Good luck Karma. It's clear that the results was a massive shock to you all. I think what the others are trying to do is to temper your expectations at the review/ appeal and maybe you should be focusing on which schools you put on his CAF form? Either way, it's going to be a tough road ahead and I don't envy you for doing that. Good luck!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now