Bucks - Selection Review Process - NO SATs

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jennybond007

Bucks - Selection Review Process - NO SATs

Post by jennybond007 »

Hi all - would be good to know if anyone can help here :)

Our DD got 117 in the 11+ and she's a high achiever and we will have full support of the school so we are hopeful. However, the Bucks site says that part of the 'evidence' is their SAT's and predicted SATs. Our DD goes to a private school and they don't do them. Do you know what the school sends instead? Is it all of their end of year exam results (Maths/English/Science etc) and do the panel take this at face value like SATs?

I appreciate this is a tough question to ask as I doubt many people really know, but thought I'd give it a go anyway!

Thanks.
mitasol

Re: Bucks - Selection Review Process - NO SATs

Post by mitasol »

Your school may perform some other nationally recognised tests like CATS. https://www.gl-assessment.co.uk/product ... test-cat4/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jennybond007

Post by jennybond007 »

mitasol wrote:Your school may perform some other nationally recognised tests like CATS. https://www.gl-assessment.co.uk/product ... test-cat4/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for responding. Obviously we will find out next week as we will see the Headteacher but I'm being impatient! If they have done CATs then we dont know about it. And what if they havent done them? My worry is that if they havent, the panel will view the exam as internal and therefore 'unverified' (my word).
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

the panel will view the exam as internal and therefore 'unverified' (my word).
Yes, I think that could make it difficult for them. However, it is worth checking - they may have run tests that they have not informed you about.

Is this any help. https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... ication#b3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jennybond007

Post by jennybond007 »

mitasol wrote:
the panel will view the exam as internal and therefore 'unverified' (my word).
Yes, I think that could make it difficult for them. However, it is worth checking - they may have run tests that they have not informed you about.

Is this any help. https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... ication#b3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks. The school must have something. It's only the 2nd year that the SRP has come in to effect (I think) so hopefully the school filed at least one last year with success with or without SATs/CATs. Or they can somehow compare her results to SATs/CATs. We'll see but it will be a disaster if this is all the school have and the panel look unfavourably at her EOY exams as they are very high and the HT is giving her a tick in the No1 box with the 'full support of the school' (she emailed me on Friday - lovely lady:))
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Is this a partner school? Were the HT recommendation completed before results?
jennybond007

Post by jennybond007 »

Guest55 wrote:Is this a partner school? Were the HT recommendation completed before results?
It is a partner school actually so thinking about we should be fine right with whatever they submit? As for the recommendation, I'm not sure. Can they decide or must it be before? The Bucks site seems to indicate that it must be before so I assume that they did. If they allow after then clearly that isn't as effective.

Also, she's only been at the school a year. She was at another private school before then. Will they be called upon as they will be less helpful (we left due to ignored bullying).
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They should know what to submit but do ask if they've had a successful review before. A year's data may aso be an issue ...

Have you read Etienne's post about whether to wait for an appeal?
jennybond007

Post by jennybond007 »

Guest55 wrote:They should know what to submit but do ask if they've had a successful review before. A year's data may aso be an issue ...

Have you read Etienne's post about whether to wait for an appeal?
I'm continuously reading :) I think everything points to a review as she's very academic and we have the full support of the school. What I dont know (but will know by mid week) is whether she was a 1:1 or 2:2 etc and when that was submitted or even if there's a choice of when it was submitted. I also need to find out the HT thoughts on how far we go back. At the end of the day I suspect it's up to us but the more the better I suspect.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

A review is paper evidence based though so I think that without external data it's harder to win.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now