Beaconsfield High or Dr Challoners High

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Deverills

Beaconsfield High or Dr Challoners High

Post by Deverills »

Dear all,

I have seen posts on this subject in previous years but was hoping for any recent experiences. We are in catchement and the school bus for both schools is on our doorstep. Therefore, the first consideration of travel for my DD doesn't favour one over the other.
I was then looking at results and extra curricular activities. I believe on the gcse results side there is not much difference in the schools (hoping I have read the tables correct).
On extra curricular it appears that BHS offer dance, netball and music. Does anyone know what DCHS offer as I couldn't find a comprehensive list?
Also any views on your own experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Riotcity

Re: Beaconsfield High or Dr Challoners High

Post by Riotcity »

Same situation here. Despite a preference for the grounds, buildings and appearance of Challoners, the zing and spark in the Becky High girls and their exceptional sports have the edge for us. It might be tatty at the edges but the girls exude happiness at BHS.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Riotcity's comments are exactly the sort of thing you need to look for. In the absence of any clear preference on quantitative or objective measures, the feel of a school should swing it. In fact, the feel of a school is arguably more important that other measures. Which felt most right to you and your daughter when you visited?
neo1232

Post by neo1232 »

My friend's DD is currently studying in Bucks and her school head teacher has suggested Becky High for her, as per them pastoral care is better in Becky high.

I personally found both school equally good and I completely understand your dilemma and I go with anotherdad that go for the school where you have more Good Feel factor.
Deverills

Post by Deverills »

Thank you all. The problem is my DD has said she has no preference. It would be so much easier if she said I love DCHS or BHS is the one. Very confused as to which one to select. Chesham grammar is also in our catchment as of this year but ruled that out based on distance and one thing my daughter has made clear is she doesn't want mixed school as boys are annoying and don't listen in class :lol: On my preference it's DCHS, this might be a sweeping statement but it felt like the school was academically more assertive, pushing the girls beyond there awareness. The reason this is important for her is that she doesn't have the same focus and get up and go, I had to coach her nonstop through 11+ very different to my DS. I am hoping which ever school she goes to there encourage her and I still confidence in her.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Deverills wrote:Thank you all. The problem is my DD has said she has no preference. It would be so much easier if she said I love DCHS or BHS is the one. Very confused as to which one to select. Chesham grammar is also in our catchment as of this year but ruled that out based on distance and one thing my daughter has made clear is she doesn't want mixed school as boys are annoying and don't listen in class :lol: On my preference it's DCHS, this might be a sweeping statement but it felt like the school was academically more assertive, pushing the girls beyond there awareness. The reason this is important for her is that she doesn't have the same focus and get up and go, I had to coach her nonstop through 11+ very different to my DS. I am hoping which ever school she goes to there encourage her and I still confidence in her.

If your DD doesn't have a strong preference, but you have a particular reason for favouring one over the other, perhaps you should go with that?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

Deverills wrote:Thank you all. The problem is my DD has said she has no preference. It would be so much easier if she said I love DCHS or BHS is the one. Very confused as to which one to select. Chesham grammar is also in our catchment as of this year but ruled that out based on distance and one thing my daughter has made clear is she doesn't want mixed school as boys are annoying and don't listen in class :lol: On my preference it's DCHS, this might be a sweeping statement but it felt like the school was academically more assertive, pushing the girls beyond there awareness. The reason this is important for her is that she doesn't have the same focus and get up and go, I had to coach her nonstop through 11+ very different to my DS. I am hoping which ever school she goes to there encourage her and I still confidence in her.
Another thought.....which is the closest? If she has a long arduous bus journey this may tire her out in the long run. It was quite a shock for my DD when she had to get up much earlier to catch the bus....we don't actually live far from the school, the bus comes early and she arrives early at school....to enjoy the pastries of the canteen :D funnily enough I wished I was in catchment for a mixed school and I've heard great things about Chesham. It's important at this age within classes to have different perspectives of a debate, which boys bring . If it helps my DD in in Y9 at Becky high and I really like the head, the pastoral side is great, they are always talking about good self esteem and mental health. The girls are very happy there and my daughter loves it. They do push....but not within an inch of your life which is not good for mental health. They teach them to be organised with homework , prioritise etc. Just a word of caution be careful if the school you decide upon pushes too hard......you want them happy and mentally intact when the leave . Good luck Dolly x
Deverills

Post by Deverills »

Thanks you that's really helpful insight. Both schools the bus leaves from our home around 7:45am and drop home 4:20pm so not much in terms of distance. I agree on distance my DS hadn't passed 11+ and we thought I best to send him to an Indie school day is long and journey is tiring. If I had my time again I wouldn't send him there.

I think mixed schools have a lot to offer but am trying to make this DD decision not mine. She has said no boys and I think she is in for a shock as her primary school is mixed.

I am going to visit the schools DCHS and BHS again this coming week hopefully that will cement our view on which school.
Pipsqueak

Post by Pipsqueak »

Becky High also have hockey, gym club and choir.

If you haven't had a chance to look around the school during a normal working day I would definitely recommend doing that. I know Becky High will let you but not sure about Challoners.
Deverills

Post by Deverills »

Yes we are going next week and have spoken to a family who attend DCHS which is helpful. Already know BHS students. Just want a rounded view.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now