Is a 279 score possible?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Aflower

Is a 279 score possible?

Post by Aflower »

There is a tutor in Birmingham who is claiming that one of his students has scored 279. Is that possible?
JamesDean

Re: Is a 279 score possible?

Post by JamesDean »

Why? Does it affect your DC? You could always ask WCC ...

JD
Aflower

Post by Aflower »

Many friends that I know are considering using this tutor (my own daughter is currently in year 5 so the whole journey begins again for me), based on the score he is quoting. I personally find it unbelievable and if untrue, unethical. Good advise though. I didn't realise that WCC would give that kind of information. Thank you.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

The hype that has grown up around tutoring for the Warks test over the last couple of years is staggering to me! The test has never required this amount of prep before and I suspect it still doesn't ... Is this as a result of the sharing with Brum? (Which I also suspect doesn't require parents to go to such lengths.)

JD
Fatnorville

Post by Fatnorville »

Aflower wrote:There is a tutor in Birmingham who is claiming that one of his students has scored 279. Is that possible?
This sounds like an 11+ question! You don't say whether this was a Birmingham or Warwickshire score however if it is Warwickshire you can work out the theoretical maximum score by using the info found on the letter which contains your 11+ score. That assumes you have received a letter. Some parents are still waiting.

If true what this doesn't tell you is the value that the tutor added. Would this person score highly regardless of tutor?
Aflower

Post by Aflower »

JD : Possibly. Sadly the 11 plus no longer appears to be a measure of testing natural innate ability - but it appears 2 b dependent on how heavily tutored your child is. I've known (excuse me if I sound rude here) some children that I don't consider to be naturally bright who have passed their grammar school test. But they forever struggle once they are in.
Last edited by Aflower on Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aflower

Post by Aflower »

Fatnorville: Birmingham score. Sadly we haven't received our letter yet but I've been told my sons result over the phone by the Birmingham consortium (hope they gave me the correct information). I actually did not realise that even though Warwickshire and Birmingham's scores are shared they can differ. I'm a newbie to this and prior to last academic year I knew very little about the 11 plus process. Thanks for the feedback. What you say is very correct.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

That all sounds like utter madness and completely unnecessary for the Warks test!

Congratulations to the DC with the astronomical score, but as FN says we have no idea if this was down to the tutor or plain old innate ability. As I say again, the test is not difficult but relies on quick thinking and accuracy of answers.

Which school does your DC want, AF?

JD
Last edited by JamesDean on Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aflower

Post by Aflower »

Welcome to the world of 11 + prep for Birmingham. :lol: :lol: :lol:
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Aflower wrote:Welcome to the world of 11 + prep for Birmingham. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well you can keep it there thank you, AF! We're happily just bumbling along in the Shires :lol:

JD
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now