Will my ds fail to get a place at Marling due to Crypt?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
stroudydad

Re: Will my ds fail to get a place at Marling due to Crypt?

Post by stroudydad »

Nammum wrote:Ok, I have 2 DDs at SHS and no more DCs to go through the system but I'm going to throw in my two pennies worth. Perhaps a bit controversial and I may be proved wrong come March but as a mum of girls I would offer the following as a possibility:
Traditionally those parents looking at the Gloucester girls grammars will share with both HSFG & Ribston. This being the case, I would suggest that this year, MOST would have asked to share with Crypt too (why wouldn't most people with competition for spaces being so great!).
If as we think there are many girls in the top 150 ranking for Crypt, my guess is that these girls have also got qualifying scores for HSFG and Ribston and, unless there is a massive difference in capability between girls and boys at this age, then most of the girls in the top 150 for Crypt will have excellent ranks for HSFG and Ribston (and indeed Pates and SHS if shared with them too).
Now, it is my view (shoot me down in flames if you think me wrong) that many of these top ranking girls will opt for the traditional HSFG or Ribston or Pates. Some won't of course - brothers already at Crypt or a desire for co-ed if not Pates qualified.
Upshot is, in my humble opinion, come March the rank of the last girl/boy offered a place at Crypt will be way down the order.
If I'm right then this would be good for boys lower down the order who want Crypt. The only unknown is how many girls are in the mid to low rankings for Crypt and who did not get a good rank for either HSFG and Ribston will be offered and accept places at Crypt.
Right, now I'll run for cover!
No need to run for cover.. it is a very good theory. They had nearly 1700 shares so certainly lots of girls chose to share. Time will tell :shock:
libreria

Post by libreria »

stroudydad wrote:
libreria wrote:Please shoot me down in flames if I have got this wrong (stroudydad, Amber - relying on you both to put me right if necessary) but if the headmaster of the Crypt told a parent at the Open Day on the 11th October that two thirds of the children who reached the qualifying standard for that school were boys as reported on this forum then won't there be MORE places for boys than last year? If the Crypt take 100 (and 50 girls based on the two-thirds comment) then that is 12 less than last year. Plus the 30 extra places at Tommies = 18 more places for boys than last year overall. I know this is all based on an alleged remark but hope it is of comfort to some.

Fortunately I have a daughter and live in Stroud. She got a safe ranking for SHS but failed to qualify for the Crypt which is fine because I kind of put it down for fun (yes, I definitely need to get out more).
That is one way to look at it. A more pessimistic way may be there are 200 girls qualified, but most are in the top 150... the discrepancy between Crypt and Tommies ranks would suggest there are a good few girls in the higher places. But of course all conjecture..
Am I totally missing the point here or is the discrepancy between Crypt and Tommies ranks just purely down to the fact that the Crypt have had 1000 more shares than last year and so have responded by upping their passmark to higher than Tommies when previously it was lower?
libreria

Post by libreria »

Nammum wrote:Ok, I have 2 DDs at SHS and no more DCs to go through the system but I'm going to throw in my two pennies worth. Perhaps a bit controversial and I may be proved wrong come March but as a mum of girls I would offer the following as a possibility:
Traditionally those parents looking at the Gloucester girls grammars will share with both HSFG & Ribston. This being the case, I would suggest that this year, MOST would have asked to share with Crypt too (why wouldn't most people with competition for spaces being so great!).
If as we think there are many girls in the top 150 ranking for Crypt, my guess is that these girls have also got qualifying scores for HSFG and Ribston and, unless there is a massive difference in capability between girls and boys at this age, then most of the girls in the top 150 for Crypt will have excellent ranks for HSFG and Ribston (and indeed Pates and SHS if shared with them too).
Now, it is my view (shoot me down in flames if you think me wrong) that many of these top ranking girls will opt for the traditional HSFG or Ribston or Pates. Some won't of course - brothers already at Crypt or a desire for co-ed if not Pates qualified.
Upshot is, in my humble opinion, come March the rank of the last girl/boy offered a place at Crypt will be way down the order.
If I'm right then this would be good for boys lower down the order who want Crypt. The only unknown is how many girls are in the mid to low rankings for Crypt and who did not get a good rank for either HSFG and Ribston will be offered and accept places at Crypt.
All good stuff - well done for putting your two pennies worth in. Just want to qualify your last point though - as my daughter got reasonably safe rankings for Ribston and SHS but failed to qualify for Crypt that scenario probably cannot exist.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Our Crypt email said 1819 chose to share their results not 1700. I don't understand the discrepancy in ranks for different schs tho. When I got the Crypt rank 1st & it was just over 200 I was sure he'd not ranked in top 150 for Tommies or ranked for Pates so was really surprised when he did. Crypt is becoming more & more popular & we've seen a definite trend at our junior school over the last few yrs to choose it over Pates & Tommies even tho strs is closer.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Watermelon8 wrote:Our Crypt email said 1819 chose to share their results not 1700. I don't understand the discrepancy in ranks for different schs tho. When I got the Crypt rank 1st & it was just over 200 I was sure he'd not ranked in top 150 for Tommies or ranked for Pates so was really surprised when he did. Crypt is becoming more & more popular & we've seen a definite trend at our junior school over the last few yrs to choose it over Pates & Tommies even tho strs is closer.
Admissions officer emailed me saying 1689 so I guess she must have told me wrong. I get what you're saying about perhaps some choosing Crypt over Tommies, though unless those people didn't actually share with Tommies they would be in both cohorts...
Nammum

Post by Nammum »

libreria wrote:
All good stuff - well done for putting your two pennies worth in. Just want to qualify your last point though - as my daughter got reasonably safe rankings for Ribston and SHS but failed to qualify for Crypt that scenario probably cannot exist.
Well, perhaps that puts paid to that idea then. I still think the final ranking will be very low down the order for Crypt.
It is said that Pates who set a requirement for sitters to pass every section of the paper to get a rank/top rank. Is it conceivable therefore that Crypt has attributed different weighting to sections of the paper to those of Tommies in an attempt to favour girls strengths on this first year of co-ed? - putting my head above the parapet once again!!
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Nammum Certainly an interesting theory. :-)
Amber

Post by Amber »

FWIW my hunch here is that Crypt understandably have no idea what to expect and therefore ranked down low. So while it may appear on the face of it that it is 'harder' to get into Crypt than Tommies this year, I would be really surprised if that turns out to be the case in reality and that lower ranked boys at Crypt will get places because more of the higher ranked ones will choose Tommies. STR has been the harder to get into by some margin for years and I cannot think that the Crypt decision to allow girls in is going to affect that, but they are feeling their way as they have absolutely no sense of how appealing they will be to the female applicants.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Amber wrote:FWIW my hunch here is that Crypt understandably have no idea what to expect and therefore ranked down low. So while it may appear on the face of it that it is 'harder' to get into Crypt than Tommies this year, I would be really surprised if that turns out to be the case in reality and that lower ranked boys at Crypt will get places because more of the higher ranked ones will choose Tommies. STR has been the harder to get into by some margin for years and I cannot think that the Crypt decision to allow girls in is going to affect that, but they are feeling their way as they have absolutely no sense of how appealing they will be to the female applicants.
Why is there a trend this year that boys are getting lower rankings for STR than Crypt then?
wiltsmum

Post by wiltsmum »

Why is there a trend this year that boys are getting lower rankings for STR than Crypt then?[/quote]

Our DS got considerably higher ranking for STR than Crypt.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now