Are some schools better funded than the others?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Exams2018

Are some schools better funded than the others?

Post by Exams2018 »

Sorry I am clueless about the state funding thing. But some schools seem to have better infrastructure, facilities than the others. What?
For example, Newstead wood - A brilliant school with old-ish buildings. It looked really tired. On the open day, I had to buy water when DD became thirsty.

Whereas Weald of Kent was all very modern and well maintained. They gave a lovely hamper when we arrived at the reception on the open day. It had a geometry box, revision guide, a water bottle and a band. Wow!

Why such a massive difference when both the schools are state funded?
Tinkers

Re: Are some schools better funded than the others?

Post by Tinkers »

Not all state schools get the same funding. Locally to me Wokingham schools get some of the lowest amounts in the country and something that local people have been trying to do something about for a while.

Plus some schools have better PTAs than others and get extra funding that way.

Lastly, some schools ask for parental contributions as well.
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

Tinkers wrote:Locally to me Wokingham schools get some of the lowest amounts in the country and something that local people have been trying to do something about for a while.
Even within the same county there are differences. The bulk comes from a calculation per pupil and then there are additional payments. Academies get extra because they have to buy services from the LEA (or elsewhere) that they don't get automatically. Pupil premiums make a difference. It used to be the case that the size (footprint) of the school had an effect but I think that may be getting phased out.
Exams2018 wrote:Why such a massive difference when both the schools are state funded?
Could be, it is simply down to how the school split their budget. Maybe Newstead have more experienced teachers that cost more or they don't feel the need to spend money on "PR". Older schools will almost certainly burn more money on maintenance and have less available for other areas. I'd be tempted to look at other reasons for choosing which school is most suitable. My daughter's school has a very experienced and expensive staff and an old Victorian building. They are always asking for contributions for something, which I don't have an issue with, given the service they provide. If I'd chosen her school based on the open day freebies then she'd be somewhere else for sure. :)
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Could be, it is simply down to how the school split their budget. Maybe Newstead have more experienced teachers that cost more or they don't feel the need to spend money on "PR".
Yes NW spend about 90% of their budget on teaching. If you look at old Governors minutes etc you see this noted. They have fewer NQTs than some other schools for example. The parents are invited in twice a year to help spruce the school up and this spring it was a fun event sponsored by a local skip company and a DIY store who paid for paint and equipment. I know my DD is getting a good education. Some of the infrastructure may be tired but it doesn’t seem to hinder their learning. The drains had a problem last year (always going to be a problem in a Girls school!) and there was ‘a great stink’ as DD described it but it was eventually resolved and the school just adapted which rooms could be used for that period and the girls seem to have learnt good lessons from it about getting on despite hiccups, finding solutions where problems lie, so it wasn’t all bad either.
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

Exams2018, yes there is a great disparity in funding. Historically Bromley schools have had a couple of grand less funding per student than inner London boroughs and NW have certainly had budget issues, including a current in-year deficit, which is noted in their governors' minutes of July 11th. They were asking for donations to cover a £300,000 deficit when my DD was there and were quoting 89% spent on teaching salaries, although I hear 75% is recommended norm. Giving out freebies gives no indication of a good education though. All the indies give freebies out. NW certainly have very old facilities so have a read of their governors's meeting minutes on their website, certainly worth doing if you are considering applying. These mention the problems of retaining students into sixth form, which in recent years has not been full, another cause of receiving less cash. Many year 11 go on to St Olave's instead. But perhaps Weald of Kent seem too keen if they are giving out so many goodies. Research each school thoroughly, including public minutes of meetings, usually on their websites and then go with your intuition.
squareofthewicket

Post by squareofthewicket »

bluesea wrote: All the indies give freebies out.
Entering pedantic mode -----> Not a factual statement at all but just a generalisation based on some independent schools. <-----
End of pedantic mode. :D

We have been to SPGS Open day and there were definitely no freebies on offer there where as KGS and SWPS had pastries and tea/coffee.
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

I would imagine some schools appear better funded because they have less out of county students in them.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Proudmumregardless wrote:I would imagine some schools appear better funded because they have less out of county students in them.
That is irrelevant to the funding.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Proudmumregardless wrote:I would imagine some schools appear better funded because they have less out of county students in them.
Interesting. Why would you think so?
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

Some schools are much better than others at chasing extra avenues of funding, sponsorships, letting incomes and miscellaneous grants.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now