Chance of offer for CHB

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Third time

Chance of offer for CHB

Post by Third time »

My DS scored 246 will he be guaranteed a place at CHB?
helen0209

Re: Chance of offer for CHB

Post by helen0209 »

Third time wrote:My DS scored 246 will he be guaranteed a place at CHB?
No one is 'guaranteed' a place, but you can see from your letter with the score on that he is well above the cut-off for the past 3 years. So, the answer is yes, he is above the cut-off and you can be pretty confident that he has scored enough to secure a place, and without wanting to sound too cynical, I think that you knew that anyway. :roll:
Third time

Post by Third time »

helen0209 wrote:
No one is 'guaranteed' a place, but you can see from your letter with the score on that he is well above the cut-off for the past 3 years. So, the answer is yes, he is above the cut-off and you can be pretty confident that he has scored enough to secure a place, and without wanting to sound too cynical, I think that you knew that anyway. :roll:
Don’t the cut off scores go up each year so score of 246 may not cut the mustard for an offer
Sorry Helen0209 but your cynicism is misplaced. My DS score was the lowest in his school that I’m aware of there. So I fear that the cut off score could rise significantly. However, on the other hand other mums are saying he will be fine. I am confused. Only time will tell I suppose
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I know this might be obvious but only have a chance of a place if you put it on the CAF
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Third time wrote:
helen0209 wrote:
Don’t the cut off scores go up each year so score of 246 may not cut the mustard for an offer
Sorry Helen0209 but your cynicism is misplaced. My DS score was the lowest in his school that I’m aware of there. So I fear that the cut off score could rise significantly. However, on the other hand other mums are saying he will be fine. I am confused. Only time will tell I suppose
In which case I apologise. Yes, in general cut-offs do go up, but not usually by more than a couple of points; some years they go down. Even with there being more sitters this year, your son is 6 points above last year's cut off. I would be confident of a place at CHB with a score of 246. Your son's school has a large number of extremely bright pupils and they have done very well.
Third time

Post by Third time »

Excuse my ignorance but what is the CAF? Is it the LEA preference form? What does CAF stand for?
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Third time wrote:Excuse my ignorance but what is the CAF? Is it the LEA preference form? What does CAF stand for?
Think it stands for Common Application Form, and yes, it is the LEA preference form / online application.
Third time

Post by Third time »

helen0209 wrote:
Third time wrote:Excuse my ignorance but what is the CAF? Is it the LEA preference form? What does CAF stand for?
Think it stands for Common Application Form, and yes, it is the LEA preference form / online application.
Thank you Helen0209. I was panicking that I needed to complete another form for CHB. I’ve never heard of a CAF!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Third time wrote:
helen0209 wrote:
Thank you Helen0209. I was panicking that I needed to complete another form for CHB. I’ve never heard of a CAF!
Out of curiosity, what does your LA call it? Most places seem to refer to it as a CAF / SCAF, but someone else on the forum posted recently about a school they were applying to calling it something completely different-sounding from its initials (which made it sound like a second SIF, i.e. another form to be returned to the school itself).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Third time

Post by Third time »

Think it stands for Common Application Form, and yes, it is the LEA preference form / online application.[/quote]
Thank you Helen0209. I was panicking that I needed to complete another form for CHB. I’ve never heard of a CAF![/quote]

Out of curiosity, what does your LA call it? Most places seem to refer to it as a CAF / SCAF, but someone else on the forum posted recently about a school they were applying to calling it something completely different-sounding from its initials (which made it sound like a second SIF, i.e. another form to be returned to the school itself).[/quote]

I think our LA calls the form a LEA or Preference form. A SIF is a supplementary information form which I’ve completed for a non-grammar faith school to support my preference/choice on religious grounds.