spelling

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BLANCA

spelling

Post by BLANCA »

can anyone tell me what effect poor spelling will have on herts vr tests. Also how are they marked? are the maths & vr added together to get an overall score

many thanks
DIYmum

re SPELLING

Post by DIYmum »

Hi Blanca. Don't know about Herts tests in particular but my son is a very poor speller & has just passed with flying colours in Wirral. Often got caught out on the IPS type F questions (missing 3 letter word). He often worked out the missing word but fell into the multiple choice traps by mis-spelling the word. Getting him to write out the word in full often helped. Also, compound words were difficult - but I think they are for many children. Lots of practice helped with these - plus Patricia's games!
Thankfully, it's not a written test & poor spelling shouldn't be a draw back!
toony

Post by toony »

Herts tests are standard format, therefore poor spelling will be a problem - get working on it!
BLANCA

Post by BLANCA »

many thanks to diymum & toony,

we are trying for bucks, berks & Herts, so at least bucks/berks should be ok. It is compound words that are our downfall at the mo, we are using compound word cards as suggested on this site. Am worried about herts though and will practice, practice, practice & hope for the best!!!

Why would a good reader have problems with spelling? teacher says in recent reading test came out as 16+ any ideas?
Y

Post by Y »

Depends on the nature of the errors. Possibly:

good recognition of graphemes (the way sounds are represented in writing), but poor ability to recall the correct choice of grapheme,

failure to 'sound through' the word as he spells it - so he misses sounds, or puts them in the wrong place when he writes,

ingrained habits (he started writing words the wrong way and has continued)

unlikely with a reading age of 16+, but in some instances when the spelling is poor but the reading is good, the child is reading by context, and so is actually making good guesses at many words, rather than decoding them. Check that he can read words out of context.
BLANCA

Post by BLANCA »

Thanx Y

Will do.
BLANCA

Post by BLANCA »

Hello Y,

Can I pick your brains again? I have been through random pages in the dictionary and dd seems fine with reading, so does that mean it's just a case of keep practicing?

DD never gets more than two spellings wrong in a test but then if I ask her two weeks later, chances are she will get many wrong. Any siggestions to help her?

Also Toony,

Do you know much about herts test? would she have to write sentences of her own or will she be picking a word written in the text? (of course i'm hoping for the 2nd so that I can drum it into her to check her spelling against the written text. Also do you know if the maths & vr are added together to give overall score. I'm hoping maths will bring up score if spelling brings it down.

Many thanks for your advise!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now