Advice on mobility as grounds for consideration.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
milliemum

Advice on mobility as grounds for consideration.

Post by milliemum »

Hello,
We had an unexpected result for our daughter who came 5 marks short of the qualifying standard.
We are a military family and our daughter has moved school 5 times in 5 years. Each time it has taken her several months to adjust as socially she has found making friends a slow process. When she does settle, she enjoys school and has historically always been one of the brightest in her class (top sets etc etc).
We have not lived in a Grammar school area previously so teachers have never specifically mentioned she is 'Grammar school material' as it was simply irrelevant in other Countries or non Grammar areas of the UK.
I would like to appeal on the basis that she is definitely academically more suited to a Grammar school. I think that her mobility and the churn of schools has had a detrimental impact on her abilities, but that she is certainly there with all of the potential. Our last school move was in January this year, previous to that she was in a school for 3 months, previous to that we were overseas (and so it goes on).
Would anybody have an opinion or experience on using Mobility as a grounds for a qualifying result appeal?
The school we are set on, her brother already attends but is very oversubscribed so we will have a double whammy appeal process. :shock:
Etienne

Re: Advice on mobility as grounds for circumstancial

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)

You certainly appear to have extenuating circumstances.
I would describe the issue as "Disrupted schooling owing to frequent moves (Service family)".
I have the impression that many appeal panels will be sympathetic to the situation of Service families.
Some of the Services (e.g. the RAF, unless things have changed) have welfare officers who will write a letter of support, or even help represent appellants at the hearing.

However, you won't win an appeal without some hard academic evidence.
"Brightest in the class" and "top sets" rather begs the question "What was the standard of the class? Just how able were the other pupils?"
See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You will also need specific reasons for wanting a place at the school being appealed for.
The fact that it's a grammar school is unlikely to be sufficient.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots of reading to do.
Start here.

Once you've finished reading, if you still have unanswered questions, do please let us know.
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now