math results

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lucy

math results

Post by lucy »

Hi
My son went through a awfull appeal last year :cry: (with out knowing) we lost and now he is just about settled in our allocatted school its not perfect but we have to make the best of it we can :x
his maths results are now 6a can anybody tell me is this good bad or indifferent school do not make it easy to communicate .
Best wishes to all
Lucy
stressed out mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That is good if it is based on a sensible assessment - that is a combination of classwork and a test
katel

Post by katel »

My daughter is at a high performing grammar school and her maths level is currently 5a, and, while it is not (and never has been) her best subject, the school is not at all concerned about her progress. So your son is doing very well - congratulations.

I'm happy to post my daughters other results if you are interested - I know it is very difficult to judge how your child is progressing in isolation.
tehmonkey

Post by tehmonkey »

Correct me if im wrong but the governmants target for pupils taking SATs in year 9 is level 5/6.
So your son is doing very well and is above the expected level for his age =]

But like someone above me said, is it a sensible assessment. If not i would recommen to ask his teacher what he is working at in class.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

A top pupil would be aiming for level 8 in Maths at the end of Y9 if an eventual A* at GCSE was the aim.
loulou

Post by loulou »

his maths results are now 6a can anybody tell me is this good bad or indifferent school do not make it easy to communicate .
My son acheived a level 6b in his comprehensive schools year 7 optional SATS. He has not scored less than a level 8 in any test including mock SATS since he started year 9 so it sounds as though your son is right on track for doing really well at both KS3 and GCSE. You should be really proud of him - that grammar school really has missed out!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes loulou I agree- another one the appeal panel got wrong :roll:
loulou

Post by loulou »

I agree- another one the appeal panel got wrong
I'm glad we agree.

It is proof however, that not getting grammar is not the be all and end all and that with supportive parents a bright child will do well in a non-grammar environment.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Mostly true - but when the alternative option is a school in special measures ....
loulou

Post by loulou »

Hmmmmm. After I posted I did think about it a bit more (should have listened to LBSWM and read my post a few times before hitting the submit button) and wondered how long it would take for you to pick me up on my statement. Quite true that all circumstances are different and I must learn not to generalise :oops:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now