Appeal for mitigating circumstances....

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Clairenatalie74

Appeal for mitigating circumstances....

Post by Clairenatalie74 »

Hi! I’m looking for any advice/previous experience people might have in relation to appealing on grounds of mitigating circumstances. We are in Lincolnshire.

My daughter achieved a 209 score when the pass was 220. I realise from reading around that this is not considered even close but we feel strongly that her performance was hampered by significant problems at home in the months running up to the tests.

She is an incredibly bright little thing and would cope with and benefit from a GS education! I don’t want to pursue this if there is next to no chance of success. I feel this would crush her again and I don’t want to do that.

I’ve also heard mention of a 12+..... is there such a thing?

Thanks x
Etienne

Re: Appeal for mitigating circumstances....

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)
I’m looking for any advice/previous experience people might have in relation to appealing on grounds of mitigating circumstances.
You don't appeal on the basis of mitigating circumstances, although this might be one factor in your case.
The basis of an appeal against non-qualification should be the overall strength of the alternative academic evidence. You might win an appeal with strong academic evidence but no extenuating circumstances. You cannot win an appeal with extenuating circumstances but insufficient academic evidence.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lots of reading to do.
Start here.

You will also need specific reasons for wanting a place at the school being appealed for:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some of our Lincs members might be able to help with your question about the 12+. Otherwise you will need to ask the local grammar schools.
Etienne
Clairenatalie74

Post by Clairenatalie74 »

Hi Etienne,

Thank you. Maybe I didn’t phrase it properly.

My daughter did not meet the required 220 but I feel that academically she is strong and more than equipped for Grammar school. We believe that there are factors that have impacted her in the run up to and taking of the tests and want to know if any weight is given to that fact when considering her failing the test.

Does that make more sense?

Thanks,

Claire
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi Clare

Yes, perfect sense - and your mitigating circumstances would be taken into account.

However, the point I was trying to put across is that what will matter most is the academic evidence (plus specific reasons for wanting a place at the school in question).

You may "feel" she is academically strong - but for appeal purposes you will have to prove it! :)
I feel this would crush her again and I don’t want to do that.
Do you need to tell her if you're appealing?
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now