KEFW

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Faisal2110

KEFW

Post by Faisal2110 »

Hello,

This is my first child and I am new to all this. We live just 2 miles from KECH but my son got a score of 229. His first choice was KEFW anyway as he really liked the school and the vibe there. Their cut off was 233 - what are the chances of getting in and how should I fill out my selections list? KEFW as 1st, KEA as second? Please advise.
quasimodo

Re: KEFW

Post by quasimodo »

Faisal2110 wrote:Hello,

This is my first child and I am new to all this. We live just 2 miles from KECH but my son got a score of 229. His first choice was KEFW anyway as he really liked the school and the vibe there. Their cut off was 233 - what are the chances of getting in and how should I fill out my selections list? KEFW as 1st, KEA as second? Please advise.

Hi Faisal,
Welcome to the Forum.

I would put the schools down in exactly that order.He may get a place at KEFW but he should get a place at KE Aston.You may want to consider KE Handsworth as a third grammar school choice for a belt and braces job.Congratulations to your son for his score.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Faisal2110

Post by Faisal2110 »

Thank you for your fast and helpful reply Andrew. Yes, we were hoping to add both Aston and HGS on the list. My son actually said he felt HGS and Aston were the same and results tend to favour Handsworth (it's also closer to us here from Kings Heath), but every person I speak to seems to turn their nose up at Handsworth - I can't for the life of me understand why?

If I was to add Camp Hill to my lists, is there any harm? For example 1) Camp Hill, 2) Five Ways, 3) Aston / HGS 4) Aston / HGS, 5) the local comprehensive?
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Faisal2110 wrote:Thank you for your fast and helpful reply Andrew. Yes, we were hoping to add both Aston and HGS on the list. My son actually said he felt HGS and Aston were the same and results tend to favour Handsworth (it's also closer to us here from Kings Heath), but every person I speak to seems to turn their nose up at Handsworth - I can't for the life of me understand why?

If I was to add Camp Hill to my lists, is there any harm? For example 1) Camp Hill, 2) Five Ways, 3) Aston / HGS 4) Aston / HGS, 5) the local comprehensive?
No harm whatsoever.Just be certain which school you,your family and your son prefer between KE Aston and KE Handsworth because the school at number three is likely to be the initial offer.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Faisal2110 wrote:Thank you for your fast and helpful reply Andrew. Yes, we were hoping to add both Aston and HGS on the list. My son actually said he felt HGS and Aston were the same and results tend to favour Handsworth (it's also closer to us here from Kings Heath), but every person I speak to seems to turn their nose up at Handsworth - I can't for the life of me understand why?

Hi, my son is at HGS but it was our only option in the end so we didn't have the same choice. Our son also wanted Five Ways! My husband and I both really liked HGS from the start though even before results were known . We did look round Aston too before we had the results but we preferred HGS. I would ignore hearsay because it's out of date - HGS didn't have such a good reputation or Ofsted around ten years ago but it's a different school now. We've been really impressed with the organisation so far and they really push the boys. They're also pretty strict!

You need to take time to visit Aston and Handsworth and decide between them because you may not get FW off the waiting list. You need to br sure of your second choice.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Hi, no harm at all putting CHB first, you just never know. Put HGS lower than KEA though, as HGS has a lower entry score than KEA

1) CHB
2) KEFW
3) KEA
4) HGS
5) Local comp.

Perfect!

(My niece scored 229 and is also hoping for FW as my DS & DD are there!)
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

nervousmom wrote:

Hi, no harm at all putting CHB first, you just never know. Put HGS lower than KEA though, as HGS has a lower entry score than KEA

1) CHB
2) KEFW
3) KEA
4) HGS
5) Local comp.

Perfect!

(My niece scored 229 and is also hoping for FW as my DS & DD are there!)
But not if you prefer KE Handsworth to KE Aston .

I like you do not understand why some people are negative towards KE Handsworth just go on the schools website and look at its recent Ofsted outstanding report..

Abraham Lincoln
pmc

Post by pmc »

Faisal2110 wrote:Hello,

An offer from the waiting list is a strong possiblilty. My son (2015 entry) was offered a place with 228. Initial cut off that year, if memory serves, was about 232? When the initial offers went out in March he was about 56th on the waiting list.
Faisal2110

Post by Faisal2110 »

Thank you everyone who has replied - really made me feel a bit better. It's nice to know I'm not the only one being anxious. I still hope we get KEFW but will make sure I get my choice between Aston and Handsworth correct as that is most likely where he will end up. Congrats to your niece and I hope she gets the school she wants too!
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Good luck! It's a stressful place to end up - having a borderline score - as nothing is certain until September! If you're going to get FW I hope it happens before the induction day.

On the other hand - your son is guaranteed a grammar school, which is a good position to be in!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now