Royal grammar Admission

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Parent-AA

Royal grammar Admission

Post by Parent-AA »

DS scored score removed by Moderator in bucks but we live in Lower Earley( Reading). I know few kids go from here but what is the realistic chance if I put in CAF for DS. Please help very confused. The local school( RB) is tough as he just passed that one, Slough Consortium 119 so thinking of Herschel's too ( bus goes from here for that too)

Please help if someone came across this situation. Will be great help for CAF.
Tinkers

Re: Royal grammar Admission

Post by Tinkers »

You have some excellent local schools. They would be a better option than travelling to Bucks, even if you could get a place. They would allow your DS to participate in after school activites and have local friends too.

See here for Bucks Allocations https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=46245" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That would be an unsustainable journey - RGS is on the 'wrong' side of HW from you.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The score is irrelevant, and it is all down to distance (see the link that Tinkers posted.)

As you must be around 17 miles away, there is only one year in the last decade when you would have been allocated a place.

It would be a wasted space on the CAF, and that's before you get down to the logistics of travel.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Based on the last two years' allocations, no chance. Only once in the last 12 years has the allocation distance for RGS gone far enough out to cover your address, back in 2015. It was close in 2014 but for all other years before and since, you are a long way outside the area.

I'd look elsewhere. It would take up a space on your CAF and even if the allocation were to be unusual and include you, it's a horrible journey.

Edited to add: cross-posted with Sally-Anne.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

I'm sorry but I think you are being unrealistic. Your DS will get 1-1.5hrs of homework per night. When will he able to do this? What about after school activities? One of the reasons that my DS is so looking forward to going to grammar school is participate in sports and other afterschool activities. I fear that if your DS goes to RGS he will be quite lonely and isolated and won't have any friends around him.

Sally-Anne, do you remember me telling you about Reading DCs applying for Bucks schools?!
Parent-AA

Post by Parent-AA »

BlueBerry wrote:I'm sorry but I think you are being unrealistic. Your DS will get 1-1.5hrs of homework per night. When will he able to do this? What about after school activities? One of the reasons that my DS is so looking forward to going to grammar school is participate in sports and other afterschool activities. I fear that if your DS goes to RGS he will be quite lonely and isolated and won't have any friends around him.

Sally-Anne, do you remember me telling you about Reading DCs applying for Bucks schools?!

Thank you.. we thought so too but was misled by some of the parents whose kids are are going to Wycombe High, Royal grammar and other schools form here. Not willing to take that distance anyway.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

BlueBerry wrote:Sally-Anne, do you remember me telling you about Reading DCs applying for Bucks schools?!
I do indeed. The trouble is that WHS has allocated to quite wide distances in recent years, and some parents are foolish enough to put their DC through the appalling journey.

Parent-AA, I am glad you won't be one of them, for your son's sake.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Parent-AA wrote:Thank you.. we thought so too but was misled by some of the parents whose kids are are going to Wycombe High, Royal grammar and other schools form here. Not willing to take that distance anyway.
Good for you. The other parents probably thought "here's another car-share opportunity :D "

Good luck finding a decent option closer to home.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Parent-AA wrote:
BlueBerry wrote:I'm sorry but I think you are being unrealistic. Your DS will get 1-1.5hrs of homework per night. When will he able to do this? What about after school activities? One of the reasons that my DS is so looking forward to going to grammar school is participate in sports and other afterschool activities. I fear that if your DS goes to RGS he will be quite lonely and isolated and won't have any friends around him.

Thank you.. we thought so too but was misled by some of the parents whose kids are are going to Wycombe High, Royal grammar and other schools form here. Not willing to take that distance anyway.
You are welcome. I am getting increasingly horrified at the journeys that some parents are considering for their children & I'm so glad that you aren't one of them
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now