whitgift school

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
qpootle5

whitgift school

Post by qpootle5 »

It seems that quite a number of boys with offers at great grammar schools like Tiffins, Sutton Grammar etc have gone to Whitgift instead. Could anyone give me some background on this school to explain this? I know it is an independent in the Croydon area but that is about it presently.
qpootle5
Azzurri

Post by Azzurri »

Hi,
Have you tried their website.It may be of some use.Unfortunately I am not familiar with the school.Hope someone else can help you with your question. Good luck.
qpootle5

whitgift

Post by qpootle5 »

Thank you for replying Azzurri.
I have looked at the web site and it does look like a fantastic place. I was just wondering if any one has any first hand knowledge.
qpootle5
monstermunch

Post by monstermunch »

The Whitgift school offers the IB and also a special language programme where bright boys study half of their subjects each day in a foreign language - usually french, german or spanish, and go on exahnges each year. They also teach Japanese and Mandarin so I think people are attracted to it because of its modern outlook. Relatively speaking, its fees are quite reasonable for a school within the M25 so thats why most people may choose it over the grammar schools.
qpootle5

whitgift

Post by qpootle5 »

Thank you for replying monstermunch.
It certainly does seem to offer an awful lot. I was thinking I was seeing the 'Cipriani Effect' in action!
qpootle5
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

I replied on the Surrey section, but said little more than monstermunch, although did forget to mention the bilingual programme!

The other advantage is that it is less competitive to get a place than with the grammar schools and you don't need to do any extra work as exam in the same week as Wilsons. The only difference is that their english essay is much longer at 50 minutes and when you have perfected the art of 20 minutes (!!) it is a big jump.
qpootle5

whitgift

Post by qpootle5 »

Thank you
I have also replied to you on the other forum.
I wasnt sure whether to ask about competition for places but thank you very much for the heads up on that!
qpootle5
monstermunch

Post by monstermunch »

I thought the competition would have been fiercer and we avoided trying out for it as my son does not have the temperament to be tutored. His prep school would not have tutored him either as they went to 13+ and we would have tried to get him in at 10 or 11 to give him a good chance to get on the bilingual programe - oh well!
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

No the prep schools hate Whitgift!
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

I think there are between 400 and 500 boys sitting the Whitgift 11+ for about 110 places (if they take about 40 at 10+) compared to between 1200-1500 for each grammar school exam, although lot of overlap in the children. I don't know anyone who didn't get into Whitgift, although know many who didn't pass grammar-those not getting into grammar passed Whitgift.

I also think it really helps that have an interview as can make up for a weaker performance in the exam.

They do have 12+ entry.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now