Reading School Boarding

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
arvinderps

Reading School Boarding

Post by arvinderps »

Hi,
My DS has scored 114.47 in Reading school, but we live in Langley and are not in the catchment. Is there any chance of getting admission for Reading school.
I have also received an email from Reading school that they are happy to offer a boarding seat for my DS. Although I can afford the boarding expenses, is it worth to go for boarding?
He has scored 124 in Slough Consortium and will get any school in the area.
vvicky13

Re: Reading School Boarding

Post by vvicky13 »

We like Reading School. A lot of our friends kid go there and it is very good school.
Reading seems to be most popular but it will come down to personal choice.
I believe you won't be able to change from Boarding to Day for 3 years.
So it's a 3 year commitment.
arvinderps

Post by arvinderps »

Thanks vvicky13
I am not getting good reviews for Langley Grammar from the parents of the kids going to LGS
Hence getting inclined towards Reading
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

vvicky13 wrote:We like Reading School. A lot of our friends kid go there and it is very good school.
Actually that's incorrect. On the two open evening that I attended, the headmaster drummed it into us that once you a boarder you cannot change to a be a day pupil at all. There certainly isn't a time limit on this. He did say that someone tried very hard to do that and ended up having to leave the school in the end.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

BlueBerry wrote:
vvicky13 wrote:We like Reading School. A lot of our friends kid go there and it is very good school.
Actually that's incorrect. On the two open evening that I attended, the headmaster drummed it into us that once you a boarder you cannot change to a be a day pupil at all. There certainly isn't a time limit on this. He did say that someone tried very hard to do that and ended up having to leave the school in the end.
Yes that’s also my understanding after talking to a parent of a boy there. Others have tried to change, but have not been allowed to. I guess they wouldn't mind so much if you continued to pay for the boarding place, but that is just my guess.
kol

Post by kol »

My son is a boarder and it is not 3 years till GCSE you are committed after GCSE you can be a day boy.
kol

Post by kol »

arvinderps wrote:Hi,
My DS has scored 114.47 in Reading school, but we live in Langley and are not in the catchment. Is there any chance of getting admission for Reading school.
I have also received an email from Reading school that they are happy to offer a boarding seat for my DS. Although I can afford the boarding expenses, is it worth to go for boarding?
He has scored 124 in Slough Consortium and will get any school in the area.
To be boarding the child should be happy that he will be boarding it is not a decision parents decide.
My son from beginning wanted to be boarder.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Thanks for confirming.

I’d totally agree about the DS wanting to board as well. They are going to spend an signiificant amount away from home at what is still quite a young age.
arvinderps

Post by arvinderps »

Thanks kol and Tinkers
Yes. even I heard that it is committed till GCSE
I am taking my DS for the Boarding tour tomorrow. Till now he is keen to go as boarder

Kol - how is your experience with your DS in the boarding. Do they have sports after school as my DS is very keen on sports
Suellen72

Post by Suellen72 »

Hi, let me know your feeling after you have done the boarding tour. My DS got 124.4 and we have applied for boarding too. Many thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now