crowbella

And so our journey begins....

Post by crowbella »

Hello everyone,

Our dd didn't get the required marks for the Kent test last week. She got

118 Verbal
105 English
105 Maths

We only need a pass for the school that we want and if she had passed we would have probably got in on second round. With this is mind, we feel an appeal is on the cards and have started to read and re-read the appeals section already. I have spoken to the school and we will have their support so hopefully onto a good start although we are in East Sussex and the school is not geared up for 11 plus let alone appeals etc so we will all be very green in this area.
A couple of questions though, when we appeal do we appeal on only non-qualification or on non-qualification and oversubscription? Secondly how much focus is there or should there be on her performance on the day of the exam verses her academic ability?

I am sure that there will be plenty more questions in time. We would be delighted to hear from anyone who was in the same boat as us or who can offer us any advice going forward.
hermanmunster

Re: And so our journey begins....

Post by hermanmunster »

There is quite a bit of info here https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

..including having to appeal for non qualification AND oversubscription and also the fact that the main evidence needed is of academic ability.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)
crowbella wrote:......although we are in East Sussex and the school is not geared up for 11 plus let alone appeals etc so we will all be very green in this area.
Here's hoping the school will be helpful ........
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A couple of questions though, when we appeal do we appeal on only non-qualification or on non-qualification and oversubscription?
Both. You have to be prepared for the possibility that the school will be oversubscribed. If you can get over the qualification hurdle, reasons for wanting a place could turn out to be the deciding factor:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Secondly how much focus is there or should there be on her performance on the day of the exam verses her academic ability?
As a rule of thumb, the further away the score from what was needed, the more compelling the academic case should be.
Etienne
crowbella

Post by crowbella »

Thank you, I am guessing that once we have met with the school we will have a much clearer picture of "how much" support they will give us (I already have the list of what ideally we would like in the letter from this forum) and expected levels this year for our daughter, hopefully this will give us a clearer picture going forward. No doubt I will post again once we have had this meeting.
crowbella

Post by crowbella »

I have a question please regarding the CAF form. Our first choice is Weald of Kent Grammar however as we missed the 11 plus by two marks do we definitely put it down as first choice even though we will get rejected as we don't qualify?

Our second choice is also a popular school (probably over subscribed) but we will rank highly on their criteria (1a). Do we stand a good chance of this is we put them down as second and rank so highly on their criteria ?

Or do we put popular school down first and Weald second and then appeal Weald?

Can you advise if the appeal panel will know which school we have listed on our CAF form and in which order.

I called KCC and got conflicting advice hence the post.

Thank you!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

You need to put the school you really want ie WOK down first as you have to be rejected by them first to be able to appeal.

Putting the next choice school second will not affect your chances of being offered a place there
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

+1 what herman said....!!

You need to put the school you really want first, in order to be rejected, in order to be allowed to appeal (if you don't list it you can't appeal!) And you want to list it first as that is where you really want to go....your second choice is your second choice school but will be looked at as if it was your first choice when you don't get WOK (because of the Equal Preference System - lots of threads on this). If you don't get this second choice, they will look at your third choice as if it was your first and so on.

You will be allowed to appeal for any school you listed above the school you are allocated (hence why it is important that you put WOK first even though you know you will get rejected.)
FortyNinePence

Post by FortyNinePence »

My experience of appealing last year in Kent is different. As long as you put the schools you want to appeal for somewhere on your CAF, it doesn’t matter where. I appealed for a school that I listed below the school we were allocated.

Neither appeal panel knew or asked where on the CAF we put the school.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Apologies - yes you can appeal for any school listed on your CAF - you will be added to the waiting list of any school listed above your allocated school - my bad for tryin to answer two different threads at teh same time!
crowbella

Post by crowbella »

Sorry, i'm now confused (it doesn't take much). So WOK first then?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now