LSS admission policy

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sardines

LSS admission policy

Post by sardines »

I live in Coventry(southern priority circle)my DS scored 231.I am interested to apply for LSS as first preference.I know the automatic qualifying scorescores were 208 last year.Does catchment matter in my case?
Healey

LSS admission policy

Post by Healey »

sardines wrote:I live in Coventry(southern priority circle)my DS scored 231.I am interested to apply for LSS as first preference.I know the automatic qualifying scorescores were 208 last year.Does catchment matter in my case?
Yes. You are in the catchment area for K.E.S. and may squeeze in.
LSS, you are out of catachment area. But, with 232 you may even get an offer in the first round (national offer day) as there are not enough in area high scores, if not from the waiting list.

You don't need me to tell you the better school!
Moguie

Re: LSS admission policy

Post by Moguie »

If out of catchment are you supposed to move by 31st December?
Moguie

Post by Moguie »

Healey wrote:
sardines wrote:I live in Coventry(southern priority circle)my DS scored 231.I am interested to apply for LSS as first preference.I know the automatic qualifying scorescores were 208 last year.Does catchment matter in my case?
Yes. You are in the catchment area for K.E.S. and may squeeze in.
LSS, you are out of catachment area. But, with 232 you may even get an offer in the first round (national offer day) as there are not enough in area high scores, if not from the waiting list.

You don't need me to tell you the better school!

Not sure which is the better school ?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The "better" school is simply the school that is the best fit for your child. This is different for different people. Do NOT let anyone tell you otherwise!!
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

kenyancowgirl wrote:The "better" school is simply the school that is the best fit for your child. This is different for different people. Do NOT let anyone tell you otherwise!!
+1

JD
Bobbyrab

Post by Bobbyrab »

+2

Co-ed or single sex? Close to home or a huge commute every day? Differences in emphasis within the curriculum? All of this is important and what's 'best' for one may not be for someone else. A good education is also about teaching us to open our minds to differing takes on the same question.

The schools that are under consideration on this Forum are all excellent, as are many of the non-selective schools in this County. My child is likely to be heading to a Grammar though is being told very clearly that others who will be going to the local school will also be receiving a quality education and will be perfectly able to maximise their potential there.
Healey

LSS admission policy

Post by Healey »

Moguie wrote:If out of catchment are you supposed to move by 31st December?
No.

If you are out of area and have a high score you are likely to get an offer in the first round on national offer day. The school simply cannot fill the places from within the priority area and has not been able to for years.

Only, if you have a low score and want a place do you have to move by 31st Dec. If you have a very low score, move in to the inner area where places are offered at very low scores. If pupil premium qualified, extremely low scores can gain a place.

The priority area is very old fashioned as Birmingham & Walsall do not have priority areas and understand parents should be able to move closer to the school as they would for a job. The rich can buy a property and the poor can rent, so it has little to do with money.

Ironically the sixth forms do not have priority areas. Warks need to move in to the 21st century.
guest201

Post by guest201 »

Healey wrote:If you have a very low score, move in to the inner area where places are offered at very low scores. If pupil premium qualified, extremely low scores can gain a place.
Not sure that is quite right.
The so called inner area are allocated their 55 places before the outer area (i.e. higher scores). Then the outer area are allocated their 55 places, therefore the lowest scores admitted are allocated to the outer area, however if you are in the inner area you are also in the outer area which is the advantage of living in the inner area. What I am trying to say is that you do not know where the lowest score will come from.
daddyof2

Post by daddyof2 »

guest201 wrote:
Healey wrote:If you have a very low score, move in to the inner area where places are offered at very low scores. If pupil premium qualified, extremely low scores can gain a place.
Not sure that is quite right.
The so called inner area are allocated their 55 places before the outer area (i.e. higher scores). Then the outer area are allocated their 55 places, therefore the lowest scores admitted are allocated to the outer area, however if you are in the inner area you are also in the outer area which is the advantage of living in the inner area. What I am trying to say is that you do not know where the lowest score will come from.
My understanding reading the admissions policy was that an inner area DC with a lower score (over AQS) gets priority over a DC with a higher score in the outer area and outside priority area. Isn't that correct?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now