Selection Review - Bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
11plusreviewBR

Selection Review - Bucks

Post by 11plusreviewBR »

Hi,
I will be thankful if you can help me in this tricky situation. I have twins and one of them qualified and other missed by half mark. Due to round down, she got 120. But, her actual score is 120.55. She passed her exam at Birmingham and got more marks than qualifying mark. While applying for review, can we mention the below points for why we think she is suitable for grammar school? Can I share the letter with you for review?
1. She is in top set of Math and English at school
2. One of twin qualified and she missed qualification by half mark, separating them at this age is painful.
3. She qualified at Birmingham and we can’t relocate due to personal circumstances
4. Brother is also attending grammar school and she is only one miss grammar school and hurts her always.
5. She has been suffering with seasonal allergies through summer and now feeling better. But, she did put her best efforts while she had seasonal allergies.
6. She is in level 3 in Judo & Dance etc.
Is it worth considering revaluation? In revaluation, by any chance if we get less marks, do they consider revised marks?
Thanks in advance for all your support and guidance. Regards, BR
scary mum

Re: Selection Review - BUCKS

Post by scary mum »

Welcome! Have you read this section : https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Your primary focus should be academic & why she didn't achieve the score on the day, most of the other stuff is irrelevant, I'm sorry to say. Have a good read of all the information & then people will be able to answer any other questions that you have.
scary mum
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)

Have you seen the Q&As scary mum mentions above?

And the Bucks sticky?
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=50029" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
She is in level 3 in Judo & Dance etc.
Relevance?
Is it worth considering revaluation?
Review? - Yes - but please be aware that an unsuccessful review could seriously prejudice any subsequent appeal. However, with a score of 120 it's worth proceeding with a review if you have strong academic evidence.
("Top sets" could be one factor if it's a high achieving school.)
In revaluation, by any chance if we get less marks, do they consider revised marks?
They don't change the score. The decision is either "qualified" or "not qualified".
Can I share the letter with you for review?
Unfortunately we don't normally have time - but will make an exception in your case because of the twins. :)
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 23#p108023" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Please read all the guidance and advice mentioned at the beginning of this post before going any further.
Etienne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Have you been to see the Headteacher to see how strongly s/he will support a review?

What academic evidence [at school, not other 11+ exams] do you have? I agree with scary mum that most of the points in your post are sadly irrelevant for a review.
11plusreviewBR

Post by 11plusreviewBR »

Etienne, Scary Mum & Guest55, My sincere thanks to all of you for warm welcome and quick reply. My special thanks to Etienne for offering help because of twins. it is very difficult situation at home to deal with. We don't speak English at home as our language is different. I remember seeing a question , if we speak English at home. If I say No, will it be disadvantage? I will read through all the details and come back with questions if I have any. Thanks a lot.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No - be honest if English is not your first language at home. How long have your children been at school in England?

Do make an appointment with the Head and ask for a review pack. You've come to the right place for advice and help :)
greengekho

Post by greengekho »

I have no practical experience or advice I can offer...but I just find your situation heart sinking and wanted to say that you have my utter sympathy. I am sure all the parents who read this thread sincerely hope it is resolved positively. It must be very difficult to deal with emotionally with your family - hang in there - there is a really strong chance everything will pan out as you hope. There are some real pro's on here to guide you through it at least. With very best wishes, Steph
11plusreviewBR

Post by 11plusreviewBR »

Dear Steph, Thanks a lot for kind words and best wishes. when first twin opened envelop, she was passed and was on the moon. when we opened second one to notice, second one is just short of half mark, first twin did calm down while other twin started crying. Immediately, she said, I wish I could share one mark to you. God know bigger picture and this is just a learning and accepting things. I am firm to try my best and leave rest to God. Glad to be in right place and with good people here. Once again, thank you.
11plusreviewBR

Post by 11plusreviewBR »

Hi All,

It looks like, I used wrong word "revaluation". I meant to ask re counting or manual correction. There use to be this facility of manual correction, I am not sure if this facility exists any more. Assuming, if it exists and I opt for manual correction and revised marks comes less than what is now, will they consider revised marks? if So, I assume it is risky as I stand better chance for review now. I am reading the posts you have suggested and not in a position to write any strong points. we are looking for recent year end report to capture some points. Thanks again.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

11plusreviewBR wrote: It looks like, I used wrong word "revaluation". I meant to ask re counting or manual correction. There use to be this facility of manual correction, I am not sure if this facility exists any more. Assuming, if it exists and I opt for manual correction and revised marks comes less than what is now, will they consider revised marks? if So, I assume it is risky as I stand better chance for review now.
I think you're referring to a re-mark. Yes, your mark could go down as well as up - but it's very, very rare for a mistake to be found.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b55" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now