CAF current school confusion, in-year admission

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

merochori

CAF current school confusion, in-year admission

Post by merochori »

Our DD has been offered in-year admission (yr 6) today but will be starting school after half term, 31st oct.
Her last date in current school will be tomorrow, 20th Oct.
We are filling her CAF (secondary school) online around 25-26th oct. We are confused over which school to put as her 'current school' section in CAF. Will she be considered as a student of her new school, even before a start date?
It seems not a problem but just wanted to make sure no mistake is made on CAF.
Thank you all for your time.
Tinkers

Re: CAF current school confusion, in-year admission

Post by Tinkers »

Are both primary schools in the same LA?

Id just give them a quick ring to check which one, but I doubt it would be an issue.

If they are in different LAs I’d check both to make sure they say the same. My gut is the new primary school, but im guessing.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

If you can't a definitive answer from the local authority, you will need to make a decision.

She will start the new school on 30 October. You can submit the CAF earlier than the deadline but you can amend it all the way until the deadline of 31 October. So on the day that the CAF 'freezes' she will be at the new school - and that's the school I would put on the CAF.
mystery

Post by mystery »

streathammum wrote:If you can't a definitive answer from the local authority, you will need to make a decision.

She will start the new school on 30 October. You can submit the CAF earlier than the deadline but you can amend it all the way until the deadline of 31 October. So on the day that the CAF 'freezes' she will be at the new school - and that's the school I would put on the CAF.
Yes, that's what I would do. It probably doesn't matter, but it just means that the secondary school's first record of your daughter is correct and that if they decide to do visits late year 6 to their new year 7s it's one less thing they have to change on their file.

Only reason I would do it differently would be if the admission policies of the secondary schools to whihc you are applying specify certain primary schools as feeder schools to which they give prioirty.
merochori

Post by merochori »

yes, both schools are in same LA.
We will submit the application today (with old/leaving school as current school) as she is still in that school till tomorrow.
We were not 100% sure if the details could be amended once submitted.
As suggested, we will amend the application (put new school as current school) on 31st Oct when she starts her school.

Big thank you to all for your kind suggestions. Regards
catcool

Post by catcool »

It would matter if her new school is a feeder to school to one of the secondary schools you are applying in which case you should definitely out the new school for .
merochori

Post by merochori »

Thank you all
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now