Parents of DCs currently at Nonsuch school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
YesWeCan

Parents of DCs currently at Nonsuch school

Post by YesWeCan »

Hello all, We are OOC for Nonsuch and my DD has got a score that's above 310. Based on last year's cut offs mentioned on this forum, I am hopeful that she may get a place at Nonsuch. We have only one school-going child, so moving to the area is not a problem for us. We went to the open days of all the other schools that we are about to write on our form, but unfortunately could not visit this school. We went through the school website though and my DD also liked the school atmosphere when she went to write her round 2 exam.

I request the parents whose DCs are attending Nonsuch to please write what they like (or dislike) about the school. I would be really grateful for any opinions on the school please. Many thanks for your time.
tiffinboys

Re: Parents of DCs currently at Nonsuch school

Post by tiffinboys »

There are some previous similar threads on Nonsuch. Perhaps, you may like to search those as well.
HogRoast

Post by HogRoast »

Hello. I can only speak for our experience but my daughter, currently in Y9 loves it there. She's a very academic girl and "likes" working hard and getting good grades and it's the perfect environment in that sense. Even the very "worst" performers do well there. Because all of the girls have worked hard to get into the school, there is a positive attitude to learning throughout the school.
There are plenty of sport/art/music clubs and teams to get into, and not just for the most able - for instance there is Netball squad for the best players who represent the school, but there's also Netball-For-All for everyone who's interested. There are also plenty of individual and inter-house competitions throughout the year, such as art competitions, MasterChef, X-Factor-type events. From Y9 onwards girls can join CCF (at Sutton Grammar), Duke of Edinburgh, and ball-girling at Queens Club.
The closer you are to the school the better: we live within 1km of the school and on a day when she has a club/sport after school, my daughter doesn't get in until 17:00.
In my opinion, this is not just an academic school, and gives the girls plenty of opportunities in every area. The pastoral care has also been very good in the last couple of years.
So far, I have no negatives to give.
I'm sure you could contact the school for a quick visit.
YesWeCan

Post by YesWeCan »

Thank you so much HogRoast for taking time to reply. I wanted to know more about the extra-curricular activities (sports and music mainly), and thanks for giving your views on this. My daughter is very musical, not very sporty (till now :D ). So looks like she will have good time if she gets a place here. Yes, We will try to move as close to the school as we can.
Mittleme

Post by Mittleme »

Hi
I was in the same boat as you 2 years ago- we completely forgot to go on their Open day even though we saved on the calendar

DD fell in love with the school when she went for her 2nd stage exams and made up her mind on the day she is a very academic girl(top scorer in all she does) and also very sporty and doing very well there - as for NON such - the school is really good with extracurricular activities depending on childs interest there is plenty of Sports available( hockey,netball,swimming,football,tennis,gymnastic) and infact shes been selected for ballgirling training in her form to represent her school when the time comes at the aegon tennis championship anytime
she also says theres lots of music clubs and musical activities available
in a nutshell she is happy she has chosen the right place for herself

the only challenge is its much farther to get to her school than her 2nd choice( which I stressed to her at the point we were filling the CAF form) then but I try help her when I can and drop her at the station and takes only 13mins by train but 25 mins by car so I don't get to go often for all events

at least I know she made the choice herself .

hope that helps
YesWeCan

Post by YesWeCan »

Mittleme - Thankyou so much for taking time to reply. It is so reassuring. My girl is also very academic and at the same time does lot of extra curricular activities. So looks like she will really enjoy at this school.
Mittleme

Post by Mittleme »

Hi YesWeCan

forgot to mention that NonSuch also has Music lessons that you can pay for your DD ?( think it costs the same as any normal music lessons in schools)
my DD also loves music(has a piano from primary school) but i could not see myself being able to afford the lessons on the long term which I know will cost quite a bit for me ). so because of this I discouraged her from even starting but might not be the same for you.