Selection Review - Bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
11plusreviewBR

Re: Selection Review - BUCKS

Post by 11plusreviewBR »

Hi Etienne, I really appreciate your time and information. I will let you all know outcome of review, there is nothing to lose for us at this situation. I will put my best case and leave the rest to God.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Do consider the advice to weigh up the possible advantages of skipping the review and going to appeal. Given the lack of a robust academic case, I agree it would be worth the wait to see if your daughter's academic performance strengthens this school year. My daughter's appeal (old system) failed because she didn't have the academic levels or predictions at that time in year 6. She exceeded those predictions by the end of year 6 which meant she could sit the 12+, so rapid improvement can and does take place in some children.

If you go to review and it's unsuccessful, you've had your chance, unless you can challenge it not being carried out correctly.
11plusreviewBR

Post by 11plusreviewBR »

Thanks Anotherdad, I will certainly think about it and will not submit my application yet. what is the criteria for appearing for 12+? do they need to score more than 111 in Math, English reading, writing?
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

I honestly don't know any more, it's changed since my daughter sat it. Have a look on the Bucks CC website and the website of any school you are interested in. From memory I think that most of the schools use Bucks CC to administer the process for them.

It is a gamble because it is now quite rare for spaces to arise for entry into year 8. Increased competition for Bucks GS places has meant that the grammar schools are normally full in year 7 and although the odd pupil leaves, there are others who enter the process in-year who may fill those spaces. You could find that you put your daughter through the whole process over again, she qualifies but there is no space for her. In your case, you'd presumably want her to join her twin if you elect to send the qualified twin to a GS, so you'd be hoping for a place at a particular school. Quite a rarity.
11plusreviewBR

Post by 11plusreviewBR »

Hi Etienne,

I am still thinking what could be my right step. As of now, I am thinking of skipping selection review and go for Appeal. what is your suggestion?

I am planning to go for re-mark also, as child was not marking enough visibility in many instances during the practise tests at home. So, there is a chance that computer might not have recognized her answer.

Thanks
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

A re-mark will at least give you peace of mind that you checked, but it is highly unlikely that it will change the score. If the automated system has any difficulty reading something then it will refer the script to be hand-marked, so if there was any doubt about which answer was marked, or it picks up two possible answers, or a faint smudge or something similar, it will have been determined by manual marking already.
11plusreviewBR

Post by 11plusreviewBR »

Thanks Anotherdad. Hoping for some miracle to happen.

Hi Etienne, if I skip, selection review process, during Appeal will they ask for the reason? if so, what should be appropriate answer?

Thanks again.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

11plusreviewBR wrote:Hi Etienne, if I skip, selection review process, during Appeal will they ask for the reason?
Probably not, although it's a possibility.
if so, what should be appropriate answer?
You have the answer in the Bucks sticky. :)
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=50029" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
C3
Etienne
11plusreviewBR

Post by 11plusreviewBR »

Hi Etienne and all well wishers,

I am back after a little break. Below questions might have been already answered, if so please redirect me to right place.

For example, if all the schools are over subscribed by 1st allotment in Feb/March, will there be still appeal process?

If in the Appeal is successful and schools are over subscribed, will we go on to waiting list?

Being one twin is already in that particular school, will second one get into top of the waiting list of that school or all schools?

How long these waiting list is valid? if the waiting list is not cleared with in the validity time, do we need to leave our hopes ?

Regards,
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

11plusreviewBR wrote:if all the schools are over subscribed by 1st allotment in Feb/March, will there be still appeal process?
Yes, you can appeal at any time (but normally no more than one appeal per year for each school).
If in the Appeal is successful and schools are over subscribed, will we go on to waiting list?
If the appeal is successful, you must be given a place at the school you're appealing for, irrespective of whether it is full.

It's possible that an appeal panel might decide your child should be deemed qualified, but that your case is not strong enough to outweigh the prejudice to the school of having to take an extra pupil, so the appeal as a whole is unsuccessful. In that situation your child becomes qualified and would go on the waiting list.
Being one twin is already in that particular school, will second one get into top of the waiting list of that school or all schools?
It depends on what the admission rules are for the school in question. You need to check the admission rules for each school you're interested in.
How long these waiting list is valid?
A waiting list will be kept until at least December 2018.
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now