A level results day?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tom's mum

A level results day?

Post by Tom's mum »

Hi, does anyone know the results date for A level? Trying to convince eldest to come on holiday with us but so far info is not forthcoming, and we don't want to double book!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Thursday 14th August is A level results day in 2008
Tom's mum

Post by Tom's mum »

Thanks, Guest 55. I think we can safely say that narrows down the holiday options to the two most expensive weeks of the year ...
unless the T5 situation brings prices tumbling down.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

I think it is now possible to register to see your results online, or to ask the school to text them to you.

I sympathise about the holiday dilemma. We have my stepdaughter and stepson for a two week holiday starting in GCSE results week. She insists she wants to go into school for the results. Maybe I'm jaded, but I really can't see the point of going into school for 15 minutes; perhaps your son will celebrate with his friends later in the day so there may be some further point to it.

Anyhow, she insisted she wanted to go into school that week, so I just booked a one week holiday for the following week, and we'll do trips from home instead.

As we have four children in total I really don't want to mess up holidays for GCSE plus A' level results x 4. I like to think I'll give my own children the choice between going to school for results and coming on a two week holiday. But who knows .............
solimum

Results day

Post by solimum »

The A level day can be more significant as , although results can be accessed online, with university offers automatically confirmed via the UCAS website, if the pupil misses the grade only slightly by a few UMS points it is said that phoning the admissions tutors can help secure a place anyway- and that the pupil phoning is better than a parent! However the world has shrunk so much that it is of course possible to phone and go online from almost everywhere the average family holiday may take you (although mobiles are distinctly unreliable in large parts of Cornwall....)

This will I guess depend on the popularity of the course and perhaps whether via interview the university has decided they want the pupil anyway- in fact sometimes the UCAS offer is confirmed even before the school have given out the results! We shall see how it works this summer, as DS2 has booked a trip away over his results day, leaving us to come home and check the results for him.....!
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Yes you are right. Last year I know of sixth formers who saw whether they had got their first or fall-back choice on the UCAS website the night before they got their results from school on national results day. So it gave them a strong hint of what their results in all likelihood were.

Is it possible these days to resit A' levels in one year if you miss the grades for both your UCAS offers, rather than scraping around through clearing for whatever courses will have you with the grades you have?
solimum

resits

Post by solimum »

With the modular A level system it is often possible to resit selected modules in January - I presume universities might make new offers conditional on these (if they improve the overall grade). It would probably be preferable to take the time off to do this plus perhaps some relevant gap year experience/ paid work/ travel rather than scurrying around through clearing to pick up any course that still has vacancies. My son has already said that if he missed the grades for his chosen top university he would rather go down the resit/ reapply route - it can also be common for the supposed "second choice" on the UCAS form to have the same or higher offer requirements than the favourite, and having had longer to consider the other courses with lower offers (if any have been given) may no longer appeal. Better to take the time to make a considered decision.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now