SGGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sphynx

SGGS

Post by sphynx »

I phoned Warwks LEA to find out about OOC places given last year. There were 7 on offers day with the lowest score at 227 and the waiting list went down to 215. Just info for anyone like me for whom this it their first go round.
daddyof2

Re: SGGS

Post by daddyof2 »

I know one of those 7 DCs. She eventually didn't take the place and opted for RSS as they were from the other side of M6 outside Coventry and the logistics for travel didn't work out.
pgm

Post by pgm »

Thanks for that info. Last year DD got 219, SGGS AQS was 221. We decided not to bother with the waiting list and sent her to AGS, a decision that I'm very happy with! It's nice to know that she could have gone to SGGS if we'd wanted her to though!
sphynx

Post by sphynx »

I am debating now between RHS and SGGS. No mixed gender schools we can get to (or liked). Any thoughts? I have read some older threads about SGGS having a 'type' but it also seems well organised and efficient. Mind you we can't actually view until 30th Oct. If RHS is preferred it seems nonsense to put SGGS second as it has had a consistently higher AQS but then all our eggs are in one basket.

I have found this process hard going in terms of hours spent worrying!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

List the schools in your true order of preference - otherwise you run the risk of being offered a school you listed higher when you actually want one lower.

I can't remember what your score was but I seem to recall that it appeared "safe" for RHS and that was your preference?
WMMum

Post by WMMum »

sphynx wrote:I am debating now between RHS and SGGS. No mixed gender schools we can get to (or liked). Any thoughts? I have read some older threads about SGGS having a 'type' but it also seems well organised and efficient. Mind you we can't actually view until 30th Oct. If RHS is preferred it seems nonsense to put SGGS second as it has had a consistently higher AQS but then all our eggs are in one basket.

I have found this process hard going in terms of hours spent worrying!
DD1 is at SGGS and I would disagree that there is a 'type' for the school, unless you mean girls who work to their potential. There are many former privately educated girls, and some of those have a different attitude to the rest of the girls, but there are many bright girls from state primaries. The girls need to be organised, but I assume that is the same for all secondary schools. My DD has learnt to be more organised but it certainly didn't come naturally.

If you can, visit the school. Put the schools in your genuine order of preference on the CAF, don't place a school higher if that is not your genuine choice. Any questions feel free to ask.
sphynx

Post by sphynx »

Thanks WMMum and KCG. DD scored 244 which was higher than I expected really (she only did 8 hours of maths she hadn't done at school with a tutor, we were expecting to be in Scotland so no need for 11+)

We are going to see SGGS but not until the 30th which is very close to CAF submission date. My extended family are very anti all girls environment but when we went round RHS I was surprised how much I liked it.

WMMum would you say SGGS is worth extra travel? We might be able to get DD on the bus that goes from here to there but it will be a longer journey than to RHS. Or I could perhaps reduce my hours at work to pick up. Any massive issues in the school with bullying? DD can be a bit sensitive (administrator talked about pulling her from the 11+ on the day as she was visibly upset and didn't want to go in). I like the idea that the girls there are driven to achieve, she needs some competition!
WMMum

Post by WMMum »

sphynx wrote:Thanks WMMum and KCG. DD scored 244 which was higher than I expected really (she only did 8 hours of maths she hadn't done at school with a tutor, we were expecting to be in Scotland so no need for 11+)

We are going to see SGGS but not until the 30th which is very close to CAF submission date. My extended family are very anti all girls environment but when we went round RHS I was surprised how much I liked it.

WMMum would you say SGGS is worth extra travel? We might be able to get DD on the bus that goes from here to there but it will be a longer journey than to RHS. Or I could perhaps reduce my hours at work to pick up. Any massive issues in the school with bullying? DD can be a bit sensitive (administrator talked about pulling her from the 11+ on the day as she was visibly upset and didn't want to go in). I like the idea that the girls there are driven to achieve, she needs some competition!
That is a good dilemma to be in, Sphynx. I cannot comment on RHS, or compare the two, as I am south of Stratford and have never visited RHS. I have not heard about issues with bullying, but I am sure there must be some. DD was the only girl from her school and SGGS did a good job to integrate the girls before they started. The school also offers lots of different extra-curricular activities during lunchtimes so there are lots of opportunities to meet girls with similar activities, but the girls need to take the initiative to attend these clubs themselves.
I have found the pastoral care good, but have not needed it much. One issue I think many bright children find when they go to grammar school is that they are suddenly not top of everything, and that is something we chatted about to prepare DD before she joined the school.
One problem with living a long way from the school is DDs friends are all a long way away (they could live as far again the opposite side of the school) and it makes it harder to have friends home after school. It also makes after-school activities harder. Please do take the travel time into consideration. In year 7 DD came home about quarter past five and then had homework once she came home (two pieces of homework a day - one 30min and one 45min).
Good luck with your choice. Sorry for my rambling reply.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now