HGS - Where would a score of 123 put a kid

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
shah_kaumil

HGS - Where would a score of 123 put a kid

Post by shah_kaumil »

Hello there,
I tried contacting HGS to ask their cut off for final offer in 2017 ( student appeared in exams in Sept 2016) but did no get any response yet

I don't live in any catchment areas in Slough.
I live about 30 miles away.
What are the chances of having a kid with 123 ( the range of score for Sept 2017 exams is between 44-135 as per CEM for Slough consortium exams) to get a place in HGS? Can you please respond urgently?
Aethel

Re: HGS - Where would a score of 123 put a kid

Post by Aethel »

Are you planning on moving to Slough or nearby?

If not, please don’t make your DC travel for 60 miles a day just to get to school.

The M4 is a horrible place to travel on around school times (that’s the only way I can even envisage you are travelling for Herschel, it’s not near the station.)

And the A4 Bath Road /Farnham Road which are the only access routes to HGS are avoided like the plague at rush hour by locals, for a good reason, the traffic is hideous.
It can take an hour just to get from west to east Slough in the mornings, never mind beyond....
shah_kaumil

Post by shah_kaumil »

I am planning to move to slough if the admission is offered.
However, that depends upon place of offer.
I absolutely agree with you. Travelling on M4 is absolute nightmare

However, I am not sure whether he / she will get admission or not at HGS.
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

I would say you have a good chance with that score, the cutoff in 2016 was 117 and I think it may have been lower in 2017?

After looked after children etc, 30 places are offered for 'pupil premium' children then I believe it's highest scores (next 60%) then children of staff followed by proximity
check out their admission criteria for 2018
https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/sh-h ... 0Entry.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Out of interest, where do you live at the moment?
DD is at Upton (15min journey) but there are many children in her class from Harrow/Hayes/Ealing/Hounslow etc who have a nightmare journey and really suffer because of it.

Best of luck

Edited to correct grammar!
gettomahesh

Post by gettomahesh »

Thanks and I am also thinking of putting in the Upton Court on CAF or not. We live in Harrow so any idea how are kids travelling to from harrow ? Do they use any bus and if so how long it takes ?
rhiane wrote:I would say you have a good chance with that score, the cutoff in 2016 was 117 and I think it may have been lower in 2017?

After looked after children etc, 30 places are offered for 'pupil premium' children then I believe it's highest scores (next 60%) then children of staff followed by proximity
check out their admission criteria for 2018
https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/sh-h ... 0Entry.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Out of interest, where do you live at the moment?
DD is at Upton (15min journey) but there are many children in her class from Harrow/Hayes/Ealing/Hounslow etc who have a nightmare journey and really suffer because of it.

Best of luck

Edited to correct grammar!
hel_tcw

Post by hel_tcw »

Have you tried to see how long it will take using Google maps or similar from your house to Herschel or Upton?

Upton might be easier as it is on the A4 and so on the bus route for the 81 bus (It is a London bus, going from Hounslow to Slough and is used by quite a lot of kids going to Upton or St Bernards.)

Also check the admissions for either school to see if there is a bus from the Harrow area. Bear in mind that it is quite a journey, and there could well be early starts cos of school trips. (My DD is at St Bernards and had a day trip to France last year, they left school at 645am! Wasn't too bad for us as we are local but I felt for some of her classmates.)
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

[quote="gettomahesh"]Thanks and I am also thinking of putting in the Upton Court on CAF or not. We live in Harrow so any idea how are kids travelling to from harrow ? Do they use any bus and if so how long it takes ?

There are definitely girls from Harrow in DDs class as I recently took my daughter to a party in Harrow.
I know this particular girl gets a lift to school but I don't have any details.
There is a coach from Harrow but all I know is that the coach company is called 'New Bharat' I'll see if I can find out any details.
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

hel_tcw wrote:Have you tried to see how long it will take using Google maps or similar from your house to Herschel or Upton?

Upton might be easier as it is on the A4 and so on the bus route for the 81 bus (It is a London bus, going from Hounslow to Slough and is used by quite a lot of kids going to Upton or St Bernards.)

Also check the admissions for either school to see if there is a bus from the Harrow area. Bear in mind that it is quite a journey, and there could well be early starts cos of school trips. (My DD is at St Bernards and had a day trip to France last year, they left school at 645am! Wasn't too bad for us as we are local but I felt for some of her classmates.)
There are also late (very late) finishes! in the past 2 months DD has been on 2 theatre trips to London both getting back at midnight and this was midweek! Most DC who live a distance from the school don't go on these trips which is a shame.
HYG

Post by HYG »

rhiane wrote: DD is at Upton (15min journey) but there are many children in her class from Harrow/Hayes/Ealing/Hounslow etc who have a nightmare journey and really suffer because of it.
Hi,

How has your DD found Upton Court? DS and I visited both Upton and Herschel and liked them both equally and now a tad unsure which order to place them on the CAF. Any insightful thoughts on Upton would be most helpful.

Thank you.
gettomahesh

Post by gettomahesh »

Thanks and any details would be very helpful.
rhiane wrote:
gettomahesh wrote:Thanks and I am also thinking of putting in the Upton Court on CAF or not. We live in Harrow so any idea how are kids travelling to from harrow ? Do they use any bus and if so how long it takes ?

There are definitely girls from Harrow in DDs class as I recently took my daughter to a party in Harrow.
I know this particular girl gets a lift to school but I don't have any details.
There is a coach from Harrow but all I know is that the coach company is called 'New Bharat' I'll see if I can find out any details.