Bullying at Lawrence Sherriff

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
gemmalynne

Bullying at Lawrence Sherriff

Post by gemmalynne »

11 year old started here this September and has encountered bullying. Originally started with name calling and isolating him in first two weeks; resulting in him having difficulties making friends. One night filming by camera whilst name calling which resulted in myself contacting the school. This was at the end of week 2 of year 7. It was seemingly dealt with and my son indicated things had improved. He has made a group of friends but in a different house and is generally happier.

Three days ago I was informed by my son that he had been thrown into another child between lessons. He then actually told me that the same 3 Children have been physically assaulting him on at least 2 occasions in the last 2 weeks. Contacted school yesterday was told it would be dealt wth on returm after holidays

Yesterday afternoon things escalated again...thrown to the floor....kicked and bike taken and smashed into wall.

School unable todo anything till after the holidays.

Am furious in all honesty and not behaviour I would of expected from Sherriff. Any advice or info on how they will deal with this?

Thanks in advance
Moguie

Re: Bullying at Lawrence Sherriff

Post by Moguie »

Sorry you have had to deal with this. I had a similar incident with my son in a different school where he had a shoelace around his neck and pulled back so line left on neck. I went mental at school. They are correct that they cannot do anything now until return to school. Give them the opportunity to do something on return.

Make a log of incidents
If unhappy with response from LS then follow procedures which would prob be to governors.

Once kids are in secondary I was advised that incidents of assault are actually reportable to police for them to beingorned and deal with also.

Sadly just because it's a grammar school it does not stop such things happening. They are a pool of boys and lots have chips on shoulders which come with issues of their own

Hope that helps
Moguie

Post by Moguie »

You should have access to their bullying /policy for procedures for this if not then you are able to request it from them.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Gemmalynne,

Bad behaviour happens everywhere - GS are not exempt. How the school deals with it is the mark of a good or bad school, however.

As the school have told you they cannot deal with it till after half term, I suggest you get your son to write down exactly what has happened to him, and when, as a record. Let him do this himself so that it is his words and how he saw it, not your interpretation from what he has told you. I would then email whomever you spoke to at the school who said they would deal with it after half term, and send them a copy of the record. It is important to have everything in writing - so you can email saying that as x said they would deal with it after half term, you have included a copy for their reference. Make it clear that you are not going to let this lie - your son has the right to feel safe at school and patently he does not, let alone the physical damage to his bike. Ask them what their policy is on physical abuse/bullying - it should be on their website somewhere. Ask for a report back in writing after they have spoken to the other children and for a plan as to how they will support your son going forward.

Remember there are two sides to every story so be clear that there may be a slightly different version as well. Make sure your son feels safe at home so that he will continue to tell you about events at school - if you are not satisfied with the school response then take it further - after the Pastoral Head, you can write to the Head and cc in the Chair of Governors if necessary.

cross posted with Moguie
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Moguie wrote:You should have access to their bullying /policy for procedures for this if not then you are able to request it from them.
http://www.lawrencesheriffschool.net/school-policies
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mad?

Post by mad? »

Great advice above. It is unfortunate with the timing of the holidays so in order to avoid a situation where it ruins half term for DS do the written account ASAP, explain nothing can be done until half term is over and then focus on non schools things and some activities so that he is busy and distracted. So sorry this has happened but as others have said these things happen in all schools and nipping it in the bud is key. Good luck.
mad?
gemmalynne

Post by gemmalynne »

Thanks for the helpful replies. We are off on holiday early morning so am sure some wind down time will be good for him.

It is just aggravating as a parent...you feel so helpless. There is a lot of expectation when your child gets in the school of their choice and you tend to feel disappointed.

Hope everyone has a nice holiday.
Moguie

Post by Moguie »

When I had the unpleasant experience already mentioned it was in last week of summer term. My son was taken to do a statement when it happened (just before the end of school day) and the child who influcted was interviewed and a statement made the morning after so yes getting your son to write down the event now will help. Kids can be little bleepers to each other and ues you do have great expectations of the place you chose for your child. They should have a safeguarding policy in place. They may also offer some pastoral/ counselling for him if he gets upset when talking to them. Hope you enjoy your holiday this aside.