Watford to DCHS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sriji

Watford to DCHS

Post by sriji »

During open day came to know few DDs are travelling from Watford to DCHS. What's the easiest way for travelling? It will be really helpful to hear from current parents on their travel plans.
Guest55

Re: Watford to DCHS

Post by Guest55 »

Do you live within recent allocation distances?
Punchbag

Post by Punchbag »

I'm really surprised that their catchment goes as far as Watford?
sriji

Post by sriji »

Yes. Watford Junction to DCHS is appx 7miles in straight line (within well under 9miles of last year allocation outside catchment). During open day, School told us definitely few girls coming from watford.
11+pass

Post by 11+pass »

Two years ago(current year 8s) a few girls did get in from Watford but last year(current year 7s) I don't think any did.
sriji

Post by sriji »

I am aware for sure, there are few girls from Watford in current 7 year. It seems mostly using met line for school as there is no direct bus service. It will be good to hear from these existing parents (if they still follow forum :P ) on their daily commutes.
Nins888

Post by Nins888 »

For the last two years DCHS has increased its intake to fill an extra class, and because of this larger intake pupils have come from further afield. Girls tend to commute by train/tube, as DCHS is close to Chalfont and Latimer Station. There isn't a good public bus service, and school busses tend to go towards Gerrards Cross/Chalfont St Peter, etc.

However, having a child there who lives close to the school but whose friends are widely dispersed I'd inject a note of caution about choosing a long commute for your daughter. They work hard and have a lot of homework, so adding a commute into the equation really restricts the after school activities they can join in as well as social events like school discos and the general informal meeting up at weekends that teenagers do. These are important for helping them to develop their independence and social skills, and hence to grow up into well rounded adults.

Like most people on this site I was focused on the academic side of things when choosing schools, but actually the informal, social aspect is just as important. If you're lucky enough to have a bright girl with a good work ethic she'll do well whichever school she goes to.