Selection review advice

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Posie27

Selection review advice

Post by Posie27 »

Hello,

My son achieved an STTS of 112 (we're in Bucks) which is obviously a fair way off the required score, however his Head teacher and class teacher have recommended selection review and he's been given a 1:1 from the Head and a glowing report.

There aren't any extenuating circumstances but I was just wondering whether to mention on the selection review form that the reason for his relatively low score is because he thinks things through in a lot of detail and therefore didn't have enough time to spend on each question. Or would this be seen as a negative and something that would hold him back at Grammar?

Thanks for any advice!
Etienne

Re: Selection review advice

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to the forum! :)
Posie27 wrote: his Head teacher and class teacher have recommended selection review and he's been given a 1:1 from the Head.
It depends how reliable the head's recommendations were. I wonder how many '1's and how many '2's qualified at his school?
.... and a glowing report
Did it focus on what matters? Namely academic ability and potential.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b41" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There aren't any extenuating circumstances
With a score of 112 it could be a problem at a review.
but I was just wondering whether to mention on the selection review form that the reason for his relatively low score is because he thinks things through in a lot of detail and therefore didn't have enough time to spend on each question. Or would this be seen as a negative
Probably a negative - the test was all about being able to work quickly and accurately.
and something that would hold him back at Grammar?
Not necessarily. I would need to know a lot more about the alternative academic evidence that might suggest suitability for grammar school.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Posie27

Post by Posie27 »

Thanks for responding so quickly Etienne. The chances of being successful are pretty slim I know, but no harm in trying!

I worded it badly and wasn't really asking whether he'd be ok at the grammar school due to his speed issues; it was just whether or not to mention it as a reason for struggling with the timing in the 11+. Thanks for answering that, much appreciated!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

... no harm in trying!
Except that an unsuccessful review could adversely affect any subsequent appeal you might wish to make. :?
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... aneous#e33" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Suggest you work out which route might suit you best.
Etienne
Blue_Marigold

Post by Blue_Marigold »

Hi Posie27,

I have decided to go for a review instead of an appeal because we also had a headmaster recommendation of 1:1.

I think an appeal would be difficult because even if I could convince them of academic ability, I don't see how to get over the over subscription issue (unless they make a mistake). If you look through the information on appeals there is a load of information on it. I am sure you will get lots of help from people here.

Good luck!
Posie27

Post by Posie27 »

Thanks Blue_Marigold! Yes I've found all the information on this site very useful; it helped me put together my selection review form in the first place.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks for the very kind comments! :D
Blue_Marigold wrote:I have decided to go for a review instead of an appeal because we also had a headmaster recommendation of 1:1.
First of all, I do think a 1:1 could carry a lot of weight, but only if the head's recommendations have proved to be reliable. (You satisfied yourself with regard to the '1:1's, although it would help to know what happened with the other recommendations to get the whole picture, which is why I said further above "I wonder how many '1's and how many '2's qualified at his school?".)

Secondly, your score was closer to 121 than Posie27's, so extenuating circumstances might be less of an issue. (The review guidelines clearly refer to a normal expectation of 'exceptional extenuating circumstances', which appears to be a tougher test than for an appeal.)

Last, but not least, the review panel will look to see whether there are predictions of 111-120 and GDS at the end of Y6 (and, if so, do those predictions look realistic in the light of attainment in years 2-5?).
Etienne
Blue_Marigold

Post by Blue_Marigold »

Posie27 wrote:Thanks Blue_Marigold! Yes I've found all the information on this site very useful; it helped me put together my selection review form in the first place.
You are doing better than me! I still don't know what to put.... Keep going round in circles.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Don't worry too much about what to write! :)

It's the accompanying evidence that will matter.
Etienne
Posie27

Post by Posie27 »

Hi! I wanted to post an update on this just to say that despite a score of 112 and no extenuating circumstances, our selection review was successful. We were absolutely over the moon when we received the letter and I hope that this gives other people hope that sometimes just the weight of evidence of academic ability can be enough!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now