GCSE options - is DS making a mistake not doing a language

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

amfnc

GCSE options - is DS making a mistake not doing a language

Post by amfnc »

DS is in y9 of a local grammar school (not SS). We're now at the stage where he needs to consider his gcse options.

He's taking: maths, double English, RE, triple science, geography and PE (or bus. Studies - still tbd).

This leaves him with one further option. A language isn't compulsory but encouraged but languages just aren't my DS's strong point. He finds German boring, quite likes French but he just doesn't get on with them. Will defo not take it to A level and part of me thinks that should he take French it will end up being a real difficult slog for him.

If he decides not to take French he'll probably take Computer Science or some sort of DT instead - both subjects he seems to enjoy more.

Would he be making a huge mistake not taking a language? I know it closes door on EBACC and also the IB (which doesn't suit him anyway), but will it go against him when applying to unis?

Thanks everyone
Last edited by amfnc on Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amfnc

Re: GCSE options - is DS making a mistake not doing a langua

Post by amfnc »

Moderators can you please move this posting to under the GCSE section please, I posted here by accident.

Thanks
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Could cause a problem for entry to Oxford: see the final paragraph of this link:
http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/examregs/2017 ... fstudmemb/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Loopy
Amber

Post by Amber »

UCL don't like it - I think though that they are the only ones to insist on it for undergraduate entry.

As a linguist I would say that one should always do a language, unless there are learning difficulties e.g. dyslexia which make it exceptionally hard; but I know that is not a popular view on here!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I'm not a linguist, and hated languages at school, however, I do agree with you Amber that I think taking one MFL should be compulsory. The global economy is getting smaller and there is a place for MFL within that - Spanish, for example, gives you access to South America, German allows you access (with some differences) to Dutch and Afrikaans, French gives you access to various countries in Africa, Mandarin to the Far East. Even a basic GCSE opens up a vast amount of doors.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Amber wrote:UCL don't like it - I think though that they are the only ones to insist on it for undergraduate entry.

As a linguist I would say that one should always do a language, unless there are learning difficulties e.g. dyslexia which make it exceptionally hard; but I know that is not a popular view on here!
DS2 didn't do a language & is keen on UCL, so he looked the other day, they no longer have it as a requirement for all courses.

GCSE won't teach your son to speak a language, he will learn how to pass the exam!
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

To answer the question - no, he will not be at a disadvantage - Oxbridge don't require a language and only UCL even mention it. There is a way around the UCL requirement as well.

I did two language O levels but I don't think a langauge should be compulsory. FOr some studnets there are other subjects that might serve them better, like a technology or computing [which is a language after all].
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

From UCL's website re general admissions requirements:
UK students who do not have a GCSE grade C or equivalent in a foreign language (other than Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew or Latin) on admission to UCL will be required to acquire an equivalent level of language proficiency once they are enrolled with us. This will either be through study for a specially designed certificate at the UCL Centre for Languages & International Education (CLIE), or by taking a 0.5 CU (course-unit) course in a language as part of their degree programme.
Loopy
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Exactly - there is a way around it, as I said.
amfnc

Post by amfnc »

Thanks everyone, I'm going to get him to have a good think. My sister who teaches in a local comp also thinks he should take one ....