St Olave’s

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Lorelei131

St Olave’s

Post by Lorelei131 »

It is a shame that there is so much negative press about St Olave’s and some misinformation. My son started at the school in September, and has been really happy, lessons are very engaging and challenging, teachers are supportive and interesting. The clubs at lunchtime Very stimulating. He also enjoys all the sports on offer. Yes the school is challenging, they do have homework, but he can still train for sports 6 days a week!
He is with other bright boys who enjoy challenging each other.
He had the possibility to go to the Bexley and Kent grammars, he chose St Olave’s and he is delighted with his choice.
Hope this shows another light on the school.
Fingerscrossedmum

Re: St Olave’s

Post by Fingerscrossedmum »

It’s great to hear your son is happy.

I don’t think that anyone will argue that if a boy does well at the school that they will thrive, the criticism and concern is that if they struggle, either academically or personally, then the school fails badly in their pastoral care as the focus has been totally on the academic results to the detriment of the children (and they are children) themselves.
fleurdelacourt

Post by fleurdelacourt »

great that your ds is happy but you are only a few weeks in. The issues being discussed are the management of boys in public exam years.

fingers crossed that everything is resolved before your ds reaches that stage.
10megaton

Post by 10megaton »

St Olave's is a great school that was being mismanaged by a Headmaster who was more concerned with the position in league tables than student welfare. That era is ending and a new one is begining, and fortunately the boys in the lower years will not experience what some of the older students had to go through.

We are determined to restore the school to what it was before Mr Onac was appointed. A demanding school for high-acheiving students that treats them with respect.

As Archdeacon Wright mentioned recently "The bottom line for me, as I said to those Sixth Formers I met, is that the School is there for the pupils, pure and simple, and the pupils are not there for the sake of the School or its reputation."
salsa

Post by salsa »

10megaton wrote:St Olave's is a great school that was being mismanaged by a Headmaster who was more concerned with the position in league tables than student welfare. That era is ending and a new one is begining, and fortunately the boys in the lower years will not experience what some of the older students had to go through.

We are determined to restore the school to what it was before Mr Onac was appointed. A demanding school for high-acheiving students that treats them with respect.

As Archdeacon Wright mentioned recently "The bottom line for me, as I said to those Sixth Formers I met, is that the School is there for the pupils, pure and simple, and the pupils are not there for the sake of the School or its reputation."
Wise words. I hope that a culture has not been established as the headteacher has been in the school for some years now. Many teachers, who didn't agree with him, have left.

Salsa
10megaton

Post by 10megaton »

salsa wrote:Wise words. I hope that a culture has not been established as the headteacher has been in the school for some years now. Many teachers, who didn't agree with him, have left.
About 90% of the Teachers have no confidence in Mr Onac, so I wouldn't worry too much about this. We do need to keep a careful eye in the Senior Leadership Team though.

One thing we did agree on is that Mr Onac does not appear to have corrupted the morals of the students at the school, so we hope that under Archdeacon Wright the school can reestablish it's original CofE led ethos (whilst obviously representing all faiths though).
salsa

Post by salsa »

Glad to hear it t!

Salsa
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

10megaton wrote:
salsa wrote:Wise words. I hope that a culture has not been established as the headteacher has been in the school for some years now. Many teachers, who didn't agree with him, have left.
About 90% of the Teachers have no confidence in Mr Onac, so I wouldn't worry too much about this. We do need to keep a careful eye in the Senior Leadership Team though.

One thing we did agree on is that Mr Onac does not appear to have corrupted the morals of the students at the school, so we hope that under Archdeacon Wright the school can reestablish it's original CofE led ethos (whilst obviously representing all faiths though).
I would hope that the entire Senior Leadership Team, and Governing Body, would be carefully scrutinised by the LEA/Dept for Education...whilst the Head has a lot of power in a school, decisions have to be ratified through both these bodies - I get that sometimes this is rubber stamping but both bodies must be assessed to see whether they were bullied into decisions or condoned/colluded with the Head.
salsa

Post by salsa »

kenyancowgirl wrote:
10megaton wrote:

I would hope that the entire Senior Leadership Team, and Governing Body, would be carefully scrutinised by the LEA/Dept for Education...whilst the Head has a lot of power in a school, decisions have to be ratified through both these bodies - I get that sometimes this is rubber stamping but both bodies must be assessed to see whether they were bullied into decisions or condoned/colluded with the Head.
Indeed! How could one man be responsible for all the bullying?

Salsa
fleurdelacourt

Post by fleurdelacourt »

also - he has only been suspended not fired.

He has been operating like this for some years, so it is impossible that other senior staff/governors were completely unaware of the policies. Legally it maybe hard to pin it all on him and fire him for gross misconduct. He may well return to the school IMO.

It's all very well talking about how lovely the school is or was - but he has been in charge for a long time - he won't give up without a fight.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now