Recommendations for upgrading from a beginners flute

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hera

Recommendations for upgrading from a beginners flute

Post by Hera »

I need to upgrade from a beginners flute to one that will take DD up to grade 8 and beyond. She is about to take grade 6. Any suggestions or recommendations. Thank you.
BlueSmarties

Re: Recommendations for upgrading from a beginners flute

Post by BlueSmarties »

Where are you? We're in Berks and there is a fantastic wind instrument shop (Dawkes) in Maidenhead who really seem to know their stuff, we've used them to service our DD's flute. We have a fairly basic Yamaha I think, DD will only be doing G5 soon so I'll be watching your thrrad closely :wink:

Edit: just read your older / other thread about flutes and see that someone else has already recommended Dawkes :oops:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You need good advice and to go somewhere where you can play them - a solid silver mouthpiece is often recommended but the price can vary.
Different makes suit different flautists - we got another Yahama. We kept the beginner's flute so when one is being serviced etc. the other is still available for practising.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

BlueSmarties wrote:Where are you? We're in Berks and there is a fantastic wind instrument shop (Dawkes) in Maidenhead who really seem to know their stuff, we've used them to service our DD's flute. We have a fairly basic Yamaha I think, DD will only be doing G5 soon so I'll be watching your thrrad closely :wink:

Edit: just read your older / other thread about flutes and see that someone else has already recommended Dawkes :oops:
Another vote for Dawkes if you in commutable distance.

My DD plays sax and we got to the point where the rental was holding her back. They have a great soundproof room where you can record yourself trying various instruments and then play back. It can mimic small room to concert hall with techy jiggery pokery. There was a surprising difference between instruments in her price range so you do need to try a few.
Their service/repair is really good too - we have become the family that people pass on languishing instruments to and each one has required a major overhaul to make it playable. They have done a great job every time.
midlandsmum

Post by midlandsmum »

We were in the same position a few years ago. You probably need to set a budget and talk to her teacher about what may be appropriate, including open / closed hole. We ended up spending over £2000 on a Muramatsu EX86 it was a lot of money but, as DD is now studying flute at a music college, a good investment. It was her teacher who said it might be a good idea to make that leap.

Get her to try several, if it’s doable for you Just Flutes in Croydon is a good place to start. Don’t forget if she’s at a state school you may be able to use the Assisted Purchase scheme and not pay VAT.
Hera

Post by Hera »

Thanks to everyone who has given advice. It's really helpful. We have recently spent a lot on a new piano so need to be sensible with cost, (we weren't with the piano and blew the budget) but I also want to get something that will see her through. We are in South Herts.
Hera

Post by Hera »

Guest55, which Yamaha did you upgrade to? Her sister is going to get the student flute
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's a Yahama 312 but the exact model isn't on it - I think the current 312 has different letters anyway. It has a solid silver head and silver plated body - DS has had it about 10 years now and it still plays well. He did well at grade 8 whilst stll at school.
Hera

Post by Hera »

Thank you. We tried out an Azumi AZZ3RE today when we took DDs flute to be serviced which seemed good but £1,779 and solid silver. We are only 20 to 30 miles from Dawkes so will probably have a look there as well. Had only planned to spend around £1,000 but maybe that is naive?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No - the current price of DS's flute is under £1 000 and remember you should be able to get it VAT free through a music centre or school.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now