Habs Girls, STAHS, Highgate Girls

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Melannie

Habs Girls, STAHS, Highgate Girls

Post by Melannie »

Hi

We are looking into applying to Habs Girls, STAHS and Highgate girls this Dec/Jan

From reading around the application procedures and exam links, I understand that the exams for each school consist of:

English Comprehension
English Writing
Maths
Non-verbal reasoning

Please could someone confirm if my research is correct? I'm particularly unsure of how much non-verbal reasoning comes into play for these papers; is it 10% overall the others making up 30% each or are all of these weighted equally?

Any feedback greatly appreciated
examprepper

Re: Habs Girls, STAHS, Highgate Girls

Post by examprepper »

My DD sat the first two last year. She did not report any non verbal reasoning in either exam, there may have been a little at interview stage, hard to gauge as they covered a range of tasks.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Habs girls and St Albans have an English paper and a Maths paper with a 50/50 weighting. They do not have a NVR paper.

Highgate which is a co-ed school , not a girls school, have an English and a Maths paper and also some NVR/VR questions but the main focus is English and Maths.

You would do the same preparation for all of these schools.

A lot of the dds applying will sit all three of these schools except for some more local to Highgate and St Albans.

Have you started preparing? DG
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Does anyone have any tips for the English paper at Habs Girls?
Melannie

Post by Melannie »

We recently sat Latymer and are on the 193-450 waiting list (IC), so trying to ensure that we have some good options available as the commute will be long for our daughter and she may not get in

It looks like we can continue to build on her grammar preps as you've kindly shown that the papers are a mix of English comp, free writing and Maths

Thank you for your points

Greatly appreciated
Melannie

Post by Melannie »

Also, would you happen to know how the acceptance procedure works please? All three schools have an acceptance date deadline of 5th March. If my dd is fortunate to receive an offer from any off these three, does one have to pay a term's fees or some form of deposit to secure her place by this date?
Sla212

Post by Sla212 »

Acceptance of a place at Highgate had to be accompanied by a non-refundable payment of £3,000 this year.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The date 5th March gives you four days after state school national allocation day. You will need to send the deposit with your acceptance. DG
Melannie

Post by Melannie »

Thanks for the clarification all. Much appreciated
Sla212

Post by Sla212 »

It's probably worth adding that all the Indies over-offer so you don't always have until the deadline (last year it was 6 March) to accept. By 6 March last year Highgate had received all their acceptances/declined offers & had already started offering to their waiting list. Just something to bear in mind!