Westcliff Girls v. Southend Girls - Lunch/After School Clubs

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

NicNack7

Westcliff Girls v. Southend Girls - Lunch/After School Clubs

Post by NicNack7 »

Hi all.
Hoping someone can shed a bit more light, as we were unable to make it to the open evenings for the above 2 schools.

DD looks like she has enough points for either, so we're now trying to collate as much info as possible at short notice.

Know both schools seem good with music, but she also loves drama...is one school better than the other for drama? Anyone know the sort of lunchtime/after school
Clubs that are on offer please?

Her school 11+ club had really bodged things up so we didn't expect her to pass (being out of catchment)...now we've come a bit unstuck!

Any help truly appreciated.
muerdago

Re: Westcliff Girls v. Southend Girls - Lunch/After School C

Post by muerdago »

I visited both schools again last Thursday. My daughter loves drama. She is currently on a major production. I felt Westcliff High for girls has better drama provision than Southend. Not sure about the music, though. Hope it helps a little
pushymother

Post by pushymother »

muerdago wrote:I visited both schools again last Thursday. My daughter loves drama. She is currently on a major production. I felt Westcliff High for girls has better drama provision than Southend. Not sure about the music, though. Hope it helps a little
I can only comment on Westcliff girls Drama and Music as my DD attends. We have attended the past two years productions and music concerts. The two departments are really high quality and a few talented Year 7 girls audition and get small roles or sing in the chorus of the main production.

They have three choirs, one of which is auditioned. They have jazz band, orchestra and many other small ensembles.

If your child is into music and drama she will be very happy with the high level of provision. The 6th form boys feature in the male roles and the technical side (lighting, sound, and scenery) is also top notch.

I work in a theatre in the West end and was really pleasantly surprised at the high level of provision and performance level at a state school.

The rehearsals take place at lunchtime until you get to tech week (or it may be two weeks) of evening rehearsals. They have many performance dates.

Instrumental lessons as follows:

http://www.whsg.info/images/parents/let ... essons.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NicNack7

Post by NicNack7 »

That's great! Thanks so much for the replies. :)

The instruments lessons could be really handy for her clarinet & maybe for grade 6 theory, as she won't have as much time for lessons outside school with all the homework.
I read somewhere that the teachers go to diploma level too, but not sure 40 mins would be enough. She could finish her violin + singing grade 8 & diplomas with her current teachers to save losing too much time out of school lessons.

Choirs & drama sound fantastic too! All starting to come together. Think she'd be one happy cookie at Westcliff :D

Travel wise (from Wickford) seems far easier for Westcliff too as there is a bus that goes straight to the school. Southend looks like she's need to take a train, then bus & walk!

Thanks again for all your help, & all the best of luck to you & your DD's. :)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

NicNack7 wrote:That's great! Thanks so much for the replies. :)

The instruments lessons could be really handy for her clarinet & maybe for grade 6 theory, as she won't have as much time for lessons outside school with all the homework.
I read somewhere that the teachers go to diploma level too, but not sure 40 mins would be enough. She could finish her violin + singing grade 8 & diplomas with her current teachers to save losing too much time out of school lessons.

Choirs & drama sound fantastic too! All starting to come together. Think she'd be one happy cookie at Westcliff :D

Travel wise (from Wickford) seems far easier for Westcliff too as there is a bus that goes straight to the school. Southend looks like she's need to take a train, then bus & walk!

Thanks again for all your help, & all the best of luck to you & your DD's. :)
I would say, in fairness to SHSG that their music is pretty good, too :D (Not that I got to attend many concerts in the four years that DD was there, as I was usually preparing, serving or clearing away the catering :roll: ).

Wickford to SHSG is train to Southend Victoria then a bus - only walking needed at the school end is crossing the road. It is easier just to get on a 25 then walk up from Kent Elms, for WHSG, though, I suppose (not sure whether one of the variants of the route stops a bit closer to the school?).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
OrangeSport

Post by OrangeSport »

Having visited both schools I think they both cover these subjects very well. In truth we found that the girls at SHSG did a much better job at representing their school than the girls at WHSG and this has made it hard to compare them directly (for us), other than the fact that the girls at SHSG seemed more excited, knowledgeable and prepared in every subject when we visited.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now