WHS from Maidenhead

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Pinky1405

WHS from Maidenhead

Post by Pinky1405 »

We are on the outskirts of Maidenhead (Pinkneys Green) very near the A404. I am dithering about what school to put second on the CAF. There is a fantastic comp very near our house and WHS is up the A404. Obviously we are very pleased our DD passed the Bucks assessment, she worked hard, but both schools have different positives.

Can anyone from Maidenhead with a child at the school answer the following on WHS

1. How long does it really take to get to school on the bus.
2. What do you do for after school club pick ups - how long does it take to pick up in rush hour
3. What made you choose WHS over Newlands?
4. Have you regretted the decision to send to WHS in light of DC actually being at the school?
5. Has there really been a lot of teachers leaving? When I google the school there are two quite disparaging ratings which both could come from one disgruntled teacher!! My friends child loves it and he says the journey time is 15 mins.

Any help would be appreciated to try to help me decide between the two, my daughter likes both!
Aethel

Re: WHS from Maidenhead

Post by Aethel »

Um... there are several children each year who travel from Maindenhead to Burnham Grammar, have you considered this? Depends whether you can get your DC to the station easily, I think there is a private bus also. Last year their cachement shrank to 7.2 miles due to the school’s increasing popularity but I’m pretty sure Pinkney’s Green is wothin that distance...
Pinky1405

Post by Pinky1405 »

Thank you Aethal, we have considered Burnham as I think the travel distance is reasonably the same. In all honesty i don't want my DD having to travel very far at all!! Hopefully a person may see my post who has a child at the school. I can drive there in 7 mins but during rush hour I imagine its much worse. The bus is 40 mins so its a no at the moment but maybe the timings I've heard are not correct. I was hoping someone who experiences it on a daily basis can give me the low down!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

WHS would take you a lot longer than BGS in the rush hour. Plenty of children travel from Maidenhead. To be honest, 40 minutes on a bus isn't that much as they stop a lot (we are much nearer & the bus is about 25 mins I think). At least you are close by for parents' evenings, after school activities etc etc.
scary mum