The Actual Two Papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ambridge

The Actual Two Papers

Post by Ambridge »

Did I imagine it (life is sad!!) or do we (Patricia!) know the sequence of questions types in Papers 1 and 2. In otherwords, if say H and K appears in Paper 1 does that mean it won't appear in Paper 2 - although I appreciate there is a lot of crossover - is it just random each year covering all types???

My son is bright and thankfully laid back, although not brilliant, and is scoring between 70-73 out of 80 on most appropriate test papers, however this is his 'dining table' score when he sits there with his stop watch, his Diet coke, Snicker bar and dog curled up at his feet. I really feel that in exam conditions he could so easily lose 3 or 4 marks and then be very very borderline/fail. I also feel a bit sad that because of this, when the exam is over (and we have the burning of the practice papers on 5 November!) I will still be worried for almost 6 weeks that he didn't reach his 'dining table' potential until we get the results on 30 November....presumably other parents have the same anxiety??????
Clare

Actual two papers

Post by Clare »

Yes I also have same anxiety. My son has just finished a week on the familiarisation pack which i am led to believe are very very easy and he only got 3 wrong. Im assuming that i dont read anything into that. I know he can do really well and some days really badly. At the end of the day it will be how he feels on the actual day. There is not much I can do. I cant do the test for him! We have to wait and see.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Ambridge

The children sit 3 practice papers in school.....Test A is slightly easier and covers a selection of the 21 types. Tests 1 and 2 are of the same difficulty as the real thing......between them they cover all 21 types with a few crossovers.

The real tests will be like practice tests 1 and 2.....covering all 21 plus some crossovers. The 2 practice tests have remained unchanged since infancy. The two real tests will change each year with a varying content [ but still using the 21]

Once your child has sat the first real test get them to tick off the types used........because you know very well that ALL other types will appear in the second tests [ plus those crossovers of which could be any......depends on NFER]

I would have thought that your sons dinner table mode would be quite relaxed and therefore more open to making mistakes. Test conditions will 'make' him concentrate!.......hopefully.......scoring 73 out of 80 in time, with no pressure is very good.

Patricia
Ambridge

October 11+

Post by Ambridge »

Thanks Patricia, I am now more re-assured that his concentration might go up a gear in a real exam situation!

Unfortunately, his school openly admits to carrying out the bare minimum required by the LEA in respect of the 11+ - they seem to be verging on being anti 11+. Madness when all we are trying to do is get into a catchment state school.

He sat Paper A yesterday and sits Papers 1 and 2 over the next two weeks. The school then send the three papers home unseen and unmarked for the parents to mark, if they so wish.

Thanks Patricia especially for all your advice and comments on this site x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now