Does primary/junior school choice affect grammar entry?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ForwardThinker4

Does primary/junior school choice affect grammar entry?

Post by ForwardThinker4 »

Do you think the primary/junior school your child attended affected whether they got into a grammar school or not?

Do you think regardless of whether the school was rated outstanding or requires improvement your child still would've got in?

Out of interest what ofsted rating did your child's primary/junior school have?
Last edited by ForwardThinker4 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinkers

Re: Does primary/junior school choice affect grammar entry?

Post by Tinkers »

DDs primary was rated as ‘needs improvement’ but 4 girls and 1 boy got places, and that was a reasonably typical number compared to previous years.
The year she left, a new head started. The school OFSTED rating has improved but the numbers getting places when I last looked was zero in the last couple of years.
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

My children's primary school was 'requires improvement' or worse throughout their time there and all three gained grammar school places. In my youngest's final year the school went into special measures and was going to be academised (the decision has since been reversed). Both he and his best friend got places at KEVICHB.

Ofsted are not necessarily to be trusted in their assessment of schools. All three children were well prepared to learn well at academic schools.
Tamworthbay

Post by Tamworthbay »

OFSTEDs ratings are a joke. I have worked in education for twenty years and the rating a school gets is down to many factors but the genuine quality of the school,is often not one of them. I won't name names but I know of two local schools, one an academy which is notorious locally and I would home tutor before I let any child of mine through their gates. I know a lot of the staff who are damned hard working but suffer horrendous bullying from the trust and SMT. They were rated good. Another local school is 'failing' but is rightfully known as a good school. I have been at the same school, in a different town, for nearly twenty years and we have always been outstanding, how we got that the last time is well betond any of the teaching staff as the temporary head was incompetent (thankfully gone now).

I would urge any parent to talk to other parents of kids that go to the school they want an opinion on. It will be based on more than a couple of days talking to the management team and dropping in on a few lessons here and there.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now