Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hipp

Funding Cuts at Birmingham Grammars

Post by hipp »

Just came across this website:

https://schoolcuts.org.uk/#!/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A quick search shows that there are some substantial cuts for all Birmingham Grammars in the coming years.

Will this have any direct impact on pupils like less facilities, trips, teachers ; or a slide in teaching quality or results.

Having searched other areas like Bucks & Gloucester - I don't see funding cuts for majority of their selectives or super-selectives.

But, in B'ham almost all super-selectives have the cuts lined up.

Should one be concerned or change their choices on the CAF because of this?

King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Boys will have £277.4k less annual funding by 2020
King Edward VI Five Ways School will have £201.7k less annual funding by 2020
Queen Mary's Grammar School will have £295.2k less annual funding by 2020
Bishop Vesey's Grammar School will have £313.3k less annual funding by 2020
Reading Mum

Re: Funding Cuts at Birmingham Grammars

Post by Reading Mum »

Try putting in RG1 for across the board cuts :(

Kendrick School
-£221.9K Total loss by 2020
-£462 Per-pupil loss
-4 Teachers lost

Reading School
-£160.3K Total loss by 2020
-£248 Per-pupil loss
-3 Teachers lost

If this website is to be believed
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

There was a march about this, in London yesterday, and certainly all the Heads in South Warwickshire have issued various joint press releases asking for a fairer funding formula as they are all in line for huge cuts, regardless of whether they are Grammar Schools or not

Good schools have cut back and cut back and tried to raise funds to minimise the shortfall - this was one of the reasons for some of the increases in PAN that have been seen - but you can't just keep adding pupils as the rooms are only a certain size!

It is a worry, certainly, but I would argue it is far more widespread than just worrying about what school to list on your CAF - it is a countrywide issue that needs a change in policy.
hipp

Post by hipp »

kenyancowgirl wrote:It is a worry, certainly, but I would argue it is far more widespread than just worrying about what school to list on your CAF - it is a countrywide issue that needs a change in policy.
Agreed, but when I look-up my other choices on the CAF - Pate's Grammar and Aylesbury Grammar, I don't see any cuts (again, if the website is to be believed).

May be another postcode lottery this one :?

If I am not wrong, KECHB, KEFW & QMGS have all had an increase in PAN in the recent years.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

hipp wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:It is a worry, certainly, but I would argue it is far more widespread than just worrying about what school to list on your CAF - it is a countrywide issue that needs a change in policy.
Agreed, but when I look-up my other choices on the CAF - Pate's Grammar and Aylesbury Grammar, I don't see any cuts (again, if the website is to be believed).

May be another postcode lottery this one :?

If I am not wrong, KECHB, KEFW & QMGS have all had an increase in PAN in the recent years.
Also BV,QM girls,SCGSG and WGHS from memory.I am also aware KE Handsworth for Girls,QM Boys and WGHS have had millions of pounds on capital expenditure in recent years.In the first two on new sixth forms in the latter on a new block and an extension.The block has been finished and the extension is under construction involving a total outlay of over ten million pounds.As far as WGHS is concerned the new proposed funding formula is better for the school albeit a much lower deficit.Every school should have put in place plans to deal with the projected funding gap changes and the increases in numbers are part of those plans.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

hipp wrote:Agreed, but when I look-up my other choices on the CAF - Pate's Grammar and Aylesbury Grammar, I don't see any cuts (again, if the website is to be believed).
Bucks funding is already low: one of the Grammars openly advertises that it is the lowest funded in the country.

hipp - where on earth do you live that you are in travelling distance of both these schools? I trust you are aware that AGS allocates places on catchment then distance?
hipp

Post by hipp »

I was expecting that question to pop-up sooner or later.

We are not in travelling distance or catchment of any of the schools.

3 of the schools in my list don't have any catchment and we are looking to relocate if we get any of them. As far as I am aware that those are super-selective, and don't have any catchment criteria.

For AGS we are within the 24 miles OA allocation distance (2017), I am aware that historically it has been much lower.
hipp

Post by hipp »

Guest55 wrote:Bucks funding is already low: one of the Grammars openly advertises that it is the lowest funded in the country.
Just out of curiosity, which Bucks GS is this?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Aren't you nearer RLS or another Bucks GS?

How on earth did you visit them all?
hipp

Post by hipp »

You were very correct G55, I did manage to find more info about the funding crisis at Bucks GS:

http://www.sloughobserver.co.uk/news/14 ... ew_school/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.buckinghamtoday.co.uk/news/g ... -1-6604721" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/ed ... funds.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;