Chis and Sid - opinions please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Louise23

Chis and Sid - opinions please

Post by Louise23 »

Hello
We are seriously considering Chis and Sid for DS. Anyone willing to kindly share their experiences? Particularly interested to hear about behaviour in and out of lessons and pastoral care. DS is likely to be only child from his primary and he can be quite shy. Wondering how those first few weeks are handled in terms of helping them settle in. Slight niggle is the”good” ofsted report compared to others that have outstanding but we are keen on co- ed and Bexley Grammar is too far away. Looking and hoping for a school with a supportive and caring ethos coupled with high expectations and academic standards DS. Will we find it there?? Any opinions highly valued.
turnip08

Re: Chis and Sid - opinions please

Post by turnip08 »

I would be keen to hear from Chis & Sid parents too! Same as above but additionally, comments on sports provision (e.g. cricket, tennis - don't think they do football). What do students do lunch times (kick a ball, play with their smartphones ??).

Progress 8 score higher for Beths (KS4) but the Attainment 8 higher for Chis & Sid. Progress seems reversed for 6th form. Do most students stay on to do their A-levels at Chis & Sid or do many move. Is there freedom of choice in terms of choice of A-levels or do you have to achieve a certain GCSE level to do certain subjects.

Thanks in advance!
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

The people I've spoken to with children at the school seem really happy with it and it's definitely on our CAF form. Things edging it off the top spot are:

1. I gather they have to be in class at 8.15 am. From our house it's a 10 min walk, then a 40-45 min (public) bus journey, plus short walk at the other end, so makes for a very early start. A 10 min walk, 30 min train, followed by 20 min walk (Skinners) seems a nicer commute (if much harder on the parental cash flow) and they start later.

2. The academic results are good but not that stellar for a grammar. Only 1/3 of sixth formers go to a Russell Group university, which seems on the low side.

If that's the one he ends up getting it would be fine though. He really liked it, though as far I can gather was mostly bowled over by the Food Tech facilities (they were making sushi). We can teach him to cook at home...
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

DD’s friend got a detention in the second week of Y7 at Chis n Sid for being minutes late. Laudable for school discipline some may say but it was tough as a second offence, he couldn’t get on the bus due to an accident on that route that day and now leaves at some horribly early time and gets two trains rather than two buses. He is a tough kid but apparently there was at least one child in his class who had a similar journey and gave up on the whole thing and left in the first few weeks as despite being only three and a half miles away the journey at that time of day was horrid and the school were unbending. DD’s friend is happy at the school but talking with his parents about the sixth form I gather they are already looking at alternatives. I gather (only from a few parents I’ve spoken to, but no evidence) they have a lot of movement so don’t look at A Level results but GCSEs. For example your DC may decide on the IB or an alternative school.
Fingerscrossedmum

Post by Fingerscrossedmum »

I’ve heard that too re lateness.

DS goes to Beth’s from Bromley and if there are problems on the 269 route (which there are quite frequently!) the school are pretty understanding - there is an obvious difference between 1 child coming in late using the bus as an excuse and everyone from this way being delayed.
Louise23

Post by Louise23 »

Hi everyone - thanks for your comments. I think the early start would work for us as I leave for work early and plan to drop my son at bus stop that should then just be 10 mins direct. Seens a bit harsh giving out detention for lateness though when when it is unavoidable.
In response to query re smart phones - I asked the head this ( he seems v approachable) I was told categorically that they are not allowed in any instance. He said he knows that they have them in bags for journey to and from school but they will be confiscated if they come out in lessons, break times whenever. I wholly approve of this as think they are a major distraction. I saw table tennis tables, basket ball hoops and lots of space to kick a ball about if they want to.
Any more experiences re pastoral care, settling in, supportive ethos or competitive ethos and general behaviour v much appreciated.
Last edited by Louise23 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turnip08

Post by turnip08 »

It would be helpful to hear from more parents at Chis & Sid ( those who may have children at other Bexley grammars) as it doesn't sound too promising!

Honest feedback much appreciated. I wanted to love Beths but didn't; can't say I did Chis & Sid either. Judd/Skinners seem streets ahead but just too difficult a commute for us. Bexley Grammar looks good but not in catchment and Dartford Grammar seems quite pushy (although DS might have a chance there), similar to Olave's - happiness rating low!

Very lucky to have so many options but it's posing a bit of a dilemma too!

I guess all of these schools are essentially good but would one necessarily choose them above comps such as Ravens Wood where maybe your DC might end up in the top set and doing very well????
Mich895

Post by Mich895 »

My DD has just gone into year 10 at Chis & Sids and has loved the school since induction day. It is the school she wanted to go to even though we live walking distance from Bexley Grammar and I think it is important if your child is expressing a preference, to take that very much into account . The Head is lovely and very approachable and I can confirm what he said about phones. My DD takes hers with her to school but turns it off at the school gate, keeps it in the bottom of her bag, and then back on again when she leaves. If there is anything specific you want to know, please ask and I will see if I can help.
SashaK

Post by SashaK »

My daughter is there. It's a truely fantastic school. Yes it's an early start but if that's not your thing then don't go there. There are plenty of others who would like the chance. I work at a Kent Grammar and the constant lateness from students really does impact on their learning and the flow of the teaching. It's very important and so the school rightly prioritise this.
I can't fault the school at all.
Catjellycat

Post by Catjellycat »

I went to Chis and Sid and was very unhappy there and all of my friends were aghast at the idea of sending ds there because of our collective miserable time!

However, I'm willing to accept places can change in nearly 20 years :lol:

We went to view and I've happily put it second on the CAF. I did feel that Bexley just had that much more of a welcoming vibe and the young man that showed us round was a credit to his family - he was brilliant.

But Chis and Sid was fine and I wouldn't worry anymore than I am generally about secondary school if ds ended up there.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now